3800 180 tstat

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Is there a tell tale sign of a bad t-stat. code? would I overheat or do the fans prevent that? I put my 180 in about 3 weeks ago and at first everything looked ok my temps were between 1 bars pass the quarter mark and 1 Bar past the half mark. Big difference between how It ran stock tstat. but......As of a few days ago it seems to not get down as low as before and goes almost 2 bars past the half mark and stays there for longer even after cruising consistently no stop signs. Now I understand its been fuckin hot out here lately but even late last night (79*)and this morning (75*) it didnt seem to get cool enough as it did when it was installed. The temps then were a consistent mid 80's this first week i had it. SHOULD I be concerned or am I being paranoid? :unsure:

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by framos242+Jul 1 2005, 09:24 AM-->
Have any mods???

I would say that a fan with a switch or a PCM would help you out.

Then again, there's always a chance of a bad t-stat.
[snapback]90099[/snapback]​
[/b]

Just an open cone. I want to get the PCM but cant justify paying that much right now. (i wish)

<!--QuoteBegin-Ron Vogel
@Jul 1 2005, 09:31 AM
Best way to check is to throw it in a pot on the stove, and heat the water to 180 and see if it opens. A meat thermometer works to check temp.
[snapback]90101[/snapback]​

Well I'll keep and eye on it the next few days since it will be kinda cool out compared to the last week. If it still acts up I will use your method and see what happens.

THANKS GUYS

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Jul 1 2005, 12:12 PM
Well I'll keep and eye on it the next few days since it will be kinda cool out compared to the last week. If it still acts up I will use your method and see what happens.

Well if you're going to take it out anyway, why not just replace it. $6 bux worth of shotgun troubleshooting.

J.E.T.
[snapback]90125[/snapback]​

Very true! Could i get a 180 for our cars autozone? Does anyone prefer any brand over another? cant be much of a difference can it?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Very true! Could i get a 180 for our cars autozone? Does anyone prefer any brand over another? cant be much of a difference can it?

I would go with a 160* t-stat if you want consistant cool temps. If you stop at a red light for a while with the 180 t-stat your temps do go up and wont stop until the fans kick in or your car cools itself by moving at high speeds. It takes a whil for your temps to go down. At least thats what I noticed in my car. Then for the winter throw the 180 back in. You always run nice and cool in the winter.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You can't get the 160 at local stores, but if you have a grinder, you can get a slightly bigger one, and just trim it down until it fits...that's how mine is; but I didn't really see much of a difference with it and a 180, plus if you put in a 160 it'll have to be changed to a 180 before winter or the car will throw a code.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jul 1 2005, 03:26 PM
You can't get the 160 at local stores, but if you have a grinder, you can get a slightly bigger one, and just trim it down until it fits...that's how mine is; but I didn't really see much of a difference with it and a 180, plus if you put in a 160 it'll have to be changed to a 180 before winter or the car will throw a code.
[snapback]90140[/snapback]​

I forgot you cant just go out and buy one of those. Just go to Mike K. house and pick one up :unsure: j/k Mike. Order one from w-body store. I think they carry them. Seriously Ron you dont see much of a difference in temps? It doesnt drop to at least 170* and then take a while to climb back up at red lights as opposed to mine goes to about 190* at a stand still with my 180* t-stat in there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info