3800 Downfalls of running NO Tstat?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Your coolant would not cool. It would cycle through the engine, go through the radiator, then back into the engine. With the thermostat there, it keeps coolant in the radiator to cool down then goes through when the thermostat opens.

If you do nothing but city driving, a smaller thermostat wont keep heat down that much IMO. Its usually on the highway where you stay cooler since you are not sitting. Mine barely gets to 180 when I drive to work and I have a 180 tstat. Now when I use the A/C, I can come pretty close to 210 in no time in traffic.

*Cliff notes* Smack yourself in the head for thinking of running with no tstat. :lolsign:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

A 160/180 t-stat will have about the same performance overall. You're better off with a sooner turn-on for the fans, or a manual fan control. Will work much better...

Also, a system flush/clean and fresh distilled water/anti freeze will help a bunch. The Dexcool sludges up the system quite a bit over the life of your car, and will hurt cooling a lot.

I

imported_GraFFix

I ran no TS for along time in my car...actually when i bought the car i had terrible heat in the winter and no one could figure out why. then a few years later i started modding it lol....changed the TS to a 180 and then i saw why my heat sucked in the winter. whoever had the car before me gutted the TS and put it back in. so basically my anti freeze was flowing constantly never in the motor long enough to warm up. Duhhh

It had no ill effects on my car and it ran better back then. but that also can be because i didnt have 120k miles on the motor then...lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info