3800 GTP broke...

ShwoffGTP

Sep 7, 2008
The other night the car started to make a weird chattering noise under the hood. It started after I passed a car on Rt. 29. So, I stopped to take a listen to it. It didnt sound like a broken piston. At least not that I could remember from the last time. The noise wasnt continous, it was kinda sparadic. So, I figure I would get on home before it gets worse. So, I go REALLY slow and keeping the RPM's down. The car didnt seem to lose any power or anything. I didnt notice a change in the way it drove, performance wise. Well about 1/2 mile before I got home the car just died. Just shut off and coasted to a stop. Car wont turn over now. The started hits hard, but does nothing after that. Does anybody have any idears on what it might be?? Thank you.

S

sr71_rgl

Could be a lot of things but flexplate would be the cheapest. What I did was remove the starter and try to turn the flexplate 1 tooth at a time. I used a small pry bar I had. Anyway, I got to turn about 3/4ths of the way before it bound completely. Right now Pictor's looking at it...I hope its just the FP. I'll let u know.

ShwoffGTP

Sep 7, 2008
Well this is what we found out. Couple of things wrong. 1st thing, somehow I have a dead battry! So, as we were trying to jump it we finally got enough juice through it to turnover, but not start. When it goes to turn over we get this really loud scratching sound from the flexplate. Like nails on a chalkboard. Not cool. The motor isnt locked up because we could turn it from the flexplate and crank pulley. Now what does this sound like to you guys?

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by ShwoffGTP@Jun 20 2005, 10:43 PM
Like nails on a chalkboard.  Not cool.  The motor isnt locked up because we could turn it from  the flexplate and crank pulley.  Now what does this sound like to you guys?
[snapback]88625[/snapback]​

One of the 3 flexplat bolts either backed out or broke and is gouging its housing as it spins. BTW...were you spraying the alky when it broke?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Hmm well.. i'll take your word for it Pictor, you dissect these engines, I just went by what I was told (which wasnt much). I just know that the flexplate cracked on me, it was towed, replaced, started up, then told the engine was still making a racket, so they put in a remaned short? block. I just figured (since I wasnt told specifics) that since I was beating the crap outta the car the whole day (might have even been on 87 octane since the dealer may have been cheap) that it was chipped piston(s) they heard, they never really told me what was wrong there.

They=GM

ShwoffGTP

Sep 7, 2008
Originally posted by sr71_rgl+Jun 20 2005, 11:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ShwoffGTP
@Jun 20 2005, 10:43 PM
Like nails on a chalkboard.  Not cool.  The motor isnt locked up because we could turn it from   the flexplate and crank pulley.  Now what does this sound like to you guys?
[snapback]88625[/snapback]​

One of the 3 flexplat bolts either backed out or broke and is gouging its housing as it spins. BTW...were you spraying the alky when it broke?
[snapback]88628[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thats what we are thinking also. Whats the easiest way to replace the flexplate?? I am hoping I can scrounge up enough money for the ZZP but I dont know if I can. And I was not spraying the alky at the time it broke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info