3800 starting problems with the TA

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Have not started the TA in about 1week and went to turn the motor over and all I hear is the starter selonid(sp) ticking...

Fuel pumps...yes pumps, are loud and priming, lights are on, radio works, etc etc...

It almost went over at first, but didnt.............all I hear know is the starter selonid ticking???

It has a newer optimal yellow cap battery in there now btw......

I had a slight problem starting once but that is all........always has starrted very easily for me.

Im thinking alternator or starter............hoping starter........

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Royal,

I had this same exact problem with my Camaro in the past, mine was the battery just died. Went thru 3 different freakn batteries until I said screw it, and now I start my car every 3 days and let it run until hot/oil warms up...

Take the battery to Autozone and have them check it, it's free and you can at least rule it out if it tests ok.

Either way, Yellow top is not the right battery for your type of vehicle, unless you have a monster sound system in that TA. The Optima redtop is more for highly modified vehicles, this is what I run on my Camaro currently and have seem to had better luck with it...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/opt...automotive.html

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
well the guy b4 me had this put in and the stereo is stock.

IIRC, i do recall reading post about the yellow tops if they are not fully cycled due to low demand on the battery...........

So im hoping new battery cause its the cheapest and fastest to replace.

BTW what batteries do you GUYS RECOMEND???

I use to go diehard back in the day but that was b4 i new cars and realized I was just overpaying and buying warrenty......

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
the starters on these cars are pretty stout... it's most likely battery related

check the voltage when hitting the key to start it.... if it drops to zero then may be a short or bad connection somewhere

Try a booster pack.. if it starts fine w/that then it's just a low battery.....

the possibility of a bad battery is always there though.....

I've run an optima red top for the past 1.5 years ... only probs I've had have been due to the ground loosening up due to vibration .... but my battery's in the trunk ....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by xttc2000@Jun 19 2005, 11:08 PM
yea im gonna say low voltage also.
have you tried jumping it? lol
[snapback]88422[/snapback]​

That is too simple of an answer. :lolsign:

GL with getting it fixed. Id just go with a Wal-Mart battery. Never had a problem with them, and they also have a 5 year warranty IIRC.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
actually, I have not tried to jump it :lolsign:

Its usally stuck in the garage with my roomates 4 car in the way....that and there is a slight incline towards our gararge....

I might check the load on TUESDAY when I have my day off and SuperchardGP is comming over to get the shittense LSD out of my car......

WEll, hopefully its the battery.... :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info