3800 Went to the track..

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
..and I hate my car! Well really I dont, but heres my dilemma. With only a 3.4 and IPCM (last year) I had run a 14.240 @ 95.88mph (consistant 14.3's). I had the u-bend, stock plugs, 97-98 airbox, 93 octane. Now this time at the track with the mods in my sig, but with a 3.3 pulley and 100 octane, I could only manage a 14.156 @ 97.80mph, and consistant 14.2's. FYI My 60' are always 2.1's.

JET was kind enough to hook up his scanner to my car and let me make a couple runs with it. We noticed that I had high IAT's (120*/130*/140* - hot air intake) until I got down the track and got good air flow. My O2's were pretty good (929) but began running lean (down to about 900?) in the upper rpms/90+mph, and that was where I was starting to get KR. So JET came up with the idea to put on my AFC 1.0 and run the car rich to try to drop the KR (fyi. the cars idle LTFT's were -1.6 with no AFC adjustments). I set the AFC to 104% then made a pass, I had full timing, no KR and my run was a 14.5 @ 95 :blink:, I turned down the % to 102, and ran a 14.3 & 97 (unsure of KR if any).

I may be able to post scans later if JET saved them (thanks again!) but I was just curious is the hot air intake really killing my low end as much as I think it is, because higher mph but around the same 1/4 time tells me I have more "high end" power, then "low end" power like before? and why would the car run faster with KR?

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jun 15 2005, 02:12 AM
..and I hate my car! Well really I dont, but heres my dilemma. With only a 3.4 and IPCM (last year) I had run a 14.240 @ 95.88mph (consistant 14.3's). I had the u-bend, stock plugs, 97-98 airbox, 93 octane. Now this time at the track with the mods in my sig, but with a 3.3 pulley and 100 octane, I could only manage a 14.156 @ 97.80mph, and consistant 14.2's. FYI My 60' are always 2.1's.

JET was kind enough to hook up his scanner to my car and let me make a couple runs with it. We noticed that I had high IAT's (120*/130*/140* - hot air intake) until I got down the track and got good air flow. My O2's were pretty good (929) but began running lean (down to about 900?) in the upper rpms/90+mph, and that was where I was starting to get KR. So JET came up with the idea to put on my AFC 1.0 and run the car rich to try to drop the KR (fyi. the cars idle LTFT's were -1.6 with no AFC adjustments). I set the AFC to 104% then made a pass, I had full timing, no KR and my run was a 14.5 @ 95  :blink:, I turned down the % to 102, and ran a 14.3 & 97 (unsure of KR if any).

I may be able to post scans later if JET saved them (thanks again!) but I was just curious is the hot air intake really killing my low end as much as I think it is, because higher mph but around the same 1/4 time tells me I have more "high end" power, then "low end" power like before? and why would the car run faster with KR?
[snapback]87941[/snapback]​

hey Nick,

I am not sure what PCM have you, it just says PCM in your sig, but if you have the DHP I don't believe it removes any timing based on your IAT temp, however it will add timing in the cooler IAT temps. I do not have the DHP file (Powrtuner file) handy to verify, so maybe Ron or someone with a PT will chime in and verify..

If you have the Intense PCM, I do not know if it removes timing based on IAT temp at all since I have never seen the file before...

Nice times either way man,

Joel

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I had the same problems at your mod level. Run w/kr and be faster, or pig rich/no KR and slow down. From last year you gained 2+ mph through the traps, so you're making more power. Those IAT's are killing you. The air is less dense when hot, so of course you're going leaner at the top when the air's coming in cooler. The stock fuel system is marginal with our poor ground on the car, and whimpy fuel pump wiring. I used to start having problems right around 100 mph at WOT at the track because of it. You could probably juice up the top end to get the KR out, but it'd be a good idea for you to throw a FWI on the car, clean up the chassis ground and go up a pulley to a 3.3 or even 3.4. You'd be in the 13's for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info