3800 OIL PAN GASKET

• Thread starter imported_Diavolo
  • Start date
I

imported_Diavolo

I am leaking oil from my oil pan AGAIN. I already had it replaced at village pontiac but I am NOT going to spend $700+ again.

A few questions,

--Has anyone here done it themselves. Since we have an engine hoist here already I figured it would be the cheapest option, but I have never done it before.

--Has anyone had theres replaced professionally. If so how much did it cost.

--Has anyone had theres leak MORE than once. Did you fix it the second/third/tenth time?

This is VERY frustrating.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I have an extra one if you want it.

pretty straight forward. If you want the motor to stay in the car. drop the front cross-member....this makes the oil pan very very accessible. take the bolts out. be very carefull when you drop the pan. the oil pick up needs to be manuvered aroud the gasket.

I'd say when you have all the tools out for the job, car alreayd on jackstands....crossmember dropped. it'll take an hour. bolts on the tranny side an be a lil hard to get.

are you back out in Ohio? or are you at home?

sounds to me that they tightened the bolts a lil more than what they should have and slightly warped your oil pan. Is it under warranty????? I have 3 extra pans also if you need one. :rolleyes:

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I've had an oil pan leak for the longest time, but I haven't changed the gasket yet.

I maybe lose around 1/4 - 1/8 of a quart of oil at best between changes (Still on the full marker tho when checking the oil), so I'm trying to push it off as long as I can until I have the money to get it fixed...

The only thing that sucks, is leaving oil spots wherever I go :lolsign:

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Originally posted by jk99gtp@Jun 2 2005, 02:29 AM
I've had an oil pan leak for the longest time, but I haven't changed the gasket yet.

I maybe lose around 1/4 - 1/8 of a quart of oil at best between changes (Still on the full marker tho when checking the oil), so I'm trying to push it off as long as I can until I have the money to get it fixed...

The only thing that sucks, is leaving oil spots wherever I go  :lolsign:
[snapback]86536[/snapback]​

What is your leak from? If its just a bolt or two that loosened up no big deal. Try giving a few a 1/4 turn to make sure they are still tight.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by Aircal@Jun 2 2005, 01:35 AM
What is your leak from? If its just a bolt or two that loosened up no big deal. Try giving a few a 1/4 turn to make sure they are still tight.
[snapback]86537[/snapback]​

I've only looked at it for a few minutes once, seems it's coming from the area where the oil pan and tranny meet...

I made sure the bolts were tight (At least to the ones I can get to), but I don't want to overtighten it, which would most probably make the leak worse...

As long as I can stay above the fill mark between oil changes I can live with it for the time being....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info