3800 Joining the Air Force

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Well, I made a pretty big decision today. I have been thinking about it for quite some time now and have researched it pretty well. I have decided to join the Air Force. I really need to do something productive with my life and I figure that this should help out. I think it will be a very positive change in my life and it should be alot of fun. I will probably be going some time next week to discuss it with a recruiter and sign up.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Have you taken the test yet? Be careful...do as well as you can. I took it when I was younger and I was offered training for aviation hydralics in the Navy as an alternate...Well don't forget that the Marines is a division of the Navy! This is how my Dad got stuck in the Marines; there's nothing wrong with the Marines, but it's really difficult to get rank, and you get sent to the shit first.

I got a 98% on mine, and had a lot of choices. I ended up deciding against it, but they aggressively pursued me for almost 3 years. I was scared to pick-up the phone after awhile.

Good luck ,and the AF is the best choice if possible.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
You can always think about doing ROTC through a college program. That's what i'm doing and that way 3 years from now i'll be commissioned as an officer (2nd lieutenent) and you don't have to worry about enlisted ranks. Also starting with officers pay isnt' that bad, but you can't always count on the government picking up college these days. I was shot down on the AF scholarship so i'm still paying out of my pocket for college, but that's also not why i joined. Either way AF is a good route to go.

AFGuy0127

Apr 19, 2008
I was active duty air force for 6 years, and now I'm in the Air Guard at Scott. I absolutely loved my time in, and it really helped me grow as a person. I've learned so much. Plus, now that I'm out of active duty, I'm going to school full-time, while the goverment pays for the WHOLE THING!! Can't complain about that. If you need any advice about a job, or anything Air Force, hit me up anytime. Hope the medical part works out for ya.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by Kyle@Jun 1 2005, 11:21 PM
goodluck miller.

try and stay the same fun person you are if u really do do it.

The few friends of mine that ended up signing up to the various military branches are just shells of their former selves, it really changes you, just make sure thats what you want.
[snapback]86460[/snapback]​

Come one now, this is the Air Force we're talking about. LOL. I can make fun of the Air Force all I want since I'm currently in the AF reserves. I don't think I changed one bit, except I'm not nearly as shy as I used to be. I'm still shy, but I used to be really shy. My brother is in the Navy and I don't think he changed either. I used to work with a couple of guys in the Army reserves and they were cool, although I don't know what they were like before joining. The only branch I've heard that'll change people is the Marines. I would never consider joining the Marines. I respect them for what they go through. IMO, the only reason people join the Marines over different branches is because they want to prove to others that they can do something with their lives.

S

sr71_rgl

Good Luck Miller, but do you really think joining a branch of the civil service is going to get you what you want? Also, don't forget about all the shit that's going on in the middle east....there's a good chance you could be sent there. If I can offer my .02 (which I will regardless) you just need a little direction. College isn't for everyone and to be honest I knew a lot more people that either failed out or quit college than graduated and well over 1/2 the peeps I knew who graduated ended up getting jobs they could have gotten w/out college. The most important thing you need to realize is that in this world we live in a person needs to have a skill that's in demand. It doesn't matter if that skill involves working in a silicon chip manufacturing clean room or sweating sewer pipe in someone's basement...both jobs pay good money and involve skills that are in demand. I know more guys that are skillled tradesmen making 80k/year than college educated guys working in an office. These same tradesmen also have access to more sidework then they can handle. My old neighbor was an auto tech for years and made tall cash just doing sidework. There's a lot of trade programs out there that pay you while you learn. Liscenced electricians in this area have their pick of the jobs they take and make a minumum of $30/hr. Hell, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably have went to ITT and learned to be a tech and work for a dealership and do sidework. Not that I regret the path I took but I would have saved the $40k I spent on college.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
No matter what war is going on if the military is speninding money you will go somewhere.

There not going to have you do all that training and sit in the US....

Ill agree on the college thing. Lot of really dumb people graduating college these days with some BS degree in BS from a BS school only to find a job making under 30k a year........BS! :lolsign:

Honestly though, some of the majors these days you wonder who came up wiht them?????!!!!!! :lolsign: :blink: :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info