3800 highly modded guys

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
this is a question to anyone who is highly modded.

is there ever a point when its enough? when u've gotten ur goal and just happy with it?

cuz to me, my car feels slow already and i've already hit 1 goal which was to break into 12's, would a run around 12.5 or lower even feel that much faster? i just dont wanna keep dumping money into something i will never be happy with, which is what it seems like is gonna happen.

shoulda just bought a gn.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
I think you have reached the point of ever decreasing returns on your money kyle.

Now is when it gets expensive, as if it already hasnt been. $3k for a tranny... new blower or turbo. replacement internals...

Dont get me wrong. 11s would be fun, but will it be worth the thousands that will be necessary to make it go that fast, and be safe? Not a question i can answer for you, but your money, dollar for dollar, wont change your car nearly as much now as it did when you were in the 14's. you know this, im sure, but sometimes it helps to hear it.

BC

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
I think it is safe to say that I am one of (if not the) highest modded guys in the club and I will tell you right now, It is an addiction and before you know it you will have dumped every penny you have (and many pennys that you dont have) into the car. After that you will become sick of it and hate the fact that you have let a thing like a car take over your life.

All I can tell you is, just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. I did it for the wrong reasons. Just make sure that no matter what, if your car runs what you want or not, that you are still happy with it.

I lost sight of the fun of this a long time ago and I regret it everyday.

This is a sport, and sports are meant to be fun, just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I realize after thousands that my car will never be as fast as I want it to be for the prices I have paid...........and will continue to pay to get low 12sssssss......

I have always wanted a TA and will get their way cheaper then a extremly modded GTP that breaks down all the time......

That and I need a daily, reliable driver.........with another "fast" car........

HTHs.......

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@May 27 2005, 10:23 AM
I realize after thousands that my car will never be as fast as I want it to be for the prices I have paid...........and will continue to pay to get low 12sssssss......

I have always wanted a TA and will get their way cheaper then a extremly modded GTP that breaks down all the time......

That and I need a daily, reliable driver.........with another "fast" car........

HTHs.......
[snapback]85553[/snapback]​

John,

All I have to say is...Go as fast as you can before you're not single anymore!

Ron

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by RoyalGTP+May 27 2005, 12:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@May 27 2005, 10:54 AM
Or find a GF that likes to go fast.
[snapback]85568[/snapback]​

Are we talking about cars still?? :lolsign: :lolsign:
[snapback]85617[/snapback]​
[/b]

Either or. :ph34r: :lolsign:

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
no its never fast enough. and you are never "done"
i turned mid 10's in my car last year BEFORE I DID THE NEW MOTOR/cam and it didnt feel fast enough. now its gone and im ok with it now.

and those of you talking about getting fbody's and wanting 6spds, by the time you mod your 6 speed to be moderately fast it is hardly streetable. you can take an automatic Ls1 and do boltons, suspension and a torque converter/tire, still drive around on your stock 10bolt and turn mid 11's without touching the internals.
and there is a damn tsb on the PISTON RINGS for almost all years of ls1s, more common in 6spds. what does that mean? it means gm knows they burn oil like hell and slap like diesels when they're cold, but they dont care.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
thats what i'm worried about alex, sure insurance is cheap and the car was pretty inexpensive but 12s in the world of real cars isnt fast at all.

i guess i think i'm just gonna finish out this car with what i have laying around and do the other things i had planned on for this year then thats it for this car.

just save for something worthwhile next, something with 8 cylinders or a different 3.8.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by xttc2000@May 27 2005, 04:41 PM
no its never fast enough. and you are never "done"
i turned mid 10's in my car last year BEFORE I DID THE NEW MOTOR/cam and it didnt feel fast enough. now its gone and im ok with it now.

and those of you talking about getting fbody's and wanting 6spds, by the time you mod your 6 speed to be moderately fast it is hardly streetable. you can take an automatic Ls1 and do boltons, suspension and a torque converter/tire, still drive around on your stock 10bolt and turn mid 11's without touching the internals.
and there is a damn tsb on the PISTON RINGS for almost all years of ls1s, more common in 6spds. what does that mean? it means gm knows they burn oil like hell and slap like diesels when they're cold, but they dont care.
[snapback]85741[/snapback]​

why would the six speed be any more undrivable then the auto? and harder to get into the 11's from what I heard you can get any ls1 into the 11's by full bolt ons and a head/cam package with some sticky tires

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
yeah I am pretty much done with my car, might add an IC to make it a bit more reliable for the stock parts, but other than that its just not worth it for me to try and go any faster than high 12's. I think my set up is still reliable once I have it tuned, but going any further and I will need another car because it won't work for a daily anymore, so I am with you Kyle for th emost part.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
do what i did and relaize your gtp is not that fast and dollar for dollar its a lose lose situation.

My new ta will hit low 11s if launched properly with a 100 shot.

I paid around 3k extra dollars for 15k in parts and a ton of tunning on the car.

Not bad in my book. B)

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
well it was enough for me last summer when i realized i was spending too much just to keep the thing running, let alone do more mods. All i can say is i officially beat the mod bug when i bought the GA and haven't had a single problem with it except a brake job but that's cake.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I know what your saying ron, but dollar for dollar its doesnt make out that well.

Im actually pretty shy to tell people how much money ive spent and how slow my car is...

REalistically, given good tunning and launch, my car is capable of what, 12.7-.8s on slicks? <_<

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info