3800 Anyone have a 97-00 AC compressor???

I

imported_GraFFix

Well the past few weeks ive had this noise from under the hood...ive listened for where it was coming from and assumed it was one of the idler pullies..well I was wrong

Today on the way home this noise became incredibly loud...enough for people at red lights to look at me and wonder WTF! lol So i decided to look further into it when i got home. First thing I do is take the belt off...thinking that it would stop the sound long enough for me to pick up a idler pully tomorrow. So i pop the belt off and start the car..and well the noise is still there. arrgh so after futher investigation I see some nice shiney metal shavings coming out of my AC compressor...so What i found out is if I have the AC off something is grinding and causing this terrible noise if I turn the AC on and the compressor engages it locks and spins like normal and no noise.

So im assuming that I need a AC compressor. I was actually thinking of getting the AC delete pully but i do occasionaly use the AC so i would rather keep it.

I was wondering if anyone had a AC compressor laying around lol I know its a long shot and im going to price out a new one tomorrow and possibly send Ed a email but I figured I would check with the locals first.

I

imported_GraFFix

Pictor what do you want for it?

Does anyone know what coolant our GP uses? Or how to replace the compressor? Im assuming that when i replace this compressor I will have to have the system recharged. Im just wondering if this is going to be worth it. if we have the old r-12 coolant I dont think people still recharge that stuff. id have to convert over to the new 134 coolant.

I

imported_GraFFix

Has anyone ever replaced their compressor? im trying to figure out whats invloved with replacing this POS. I thought about just replacing the clutch bearing which is probably whats really wrong with the compressor but after seeing those metal shavings flying out from between the compressor pullies it would probably be aq good idea to just replace the whole thing. :(

Would i have to dissconect the freon lines? should I have the lines cleared out before dissconecting the compressor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list