3800 My new ride

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
I have gone over to the dark side.... well kind of. Im not driving a ford. :)

I just picked up a 1991 Toyota MR2 for $3325 on wednesday. it has some issues, like the speedometer not working and a high RPM miss, but its a really fun car to drive.

Its a N/A model, and hence has little speed to it, but the car handles so much better than anything i have ever driven. Even with a wornout suspension and bald rear tires (drive tires on this car) I can take corners faster than I could have ever dreamed of taking them in the GTP. I miss the acceleration of the GTP, but dont miss the boat feeling of driving it. Hopefully I can get the small issues with it fixed before the mod day so i can come out there and see everyone.

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Yeah i was looking into a first gen DSM or used WRX before i found this car. The reason I chose the MR2 was the uniqueness of the car, and the potential down the road to mod it. As it stands now the car is looking at getting some repair/maintenace work done, then suspension work, then probably an engine swap to put the turbo engine in. this is all assuming I keep thecar for more than a year. the new saturn Sky has found a spot in my head and wont go away.

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
the miss just developed, and the car will need some work, but for $3300 ill be ok.

teh way i figure it is if i have to spend $3k to get it to very reliable running condition that it will have been worth the cost. Im not too impressed by straight line numbers anymore. i come across very few oppurtunities to show off how fast my car is to anyone but myself. So id rather have a car that costs next to nothing to own, and is fun to drive.

the GTP cost me $325 a month in car payments, $140 or so a month in insurance, at least $120 a month in gas, and another $20 or so in maintenance.

This car costs me $100 in payments, $50 in insurance, and probably in the range of $75-80 a month in gas.

$520 and change a month or $225 and change.... I can afford to ahve to repair a few things to get it running well. the speedo cable will cost somehwere between $60 and $120 to fix. Hopefully the miss and hard start are just a fuel pump issue or a distrbutor/ignition issue that wont be too bad to fix. New tires will run my about $300-$500 depending on how balls out i go on them.

All in all it was a deal. there were few MR2s that were in this price range with out this small list of issues. the car is 14 years old... but to answer you, yes for now im happy. we'll see what 6 months brings.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info