3800 A question to those who have a downpipe...

• Thread starter imported_Theautoguy
  • Start date
I

imported_Theautoguy

I finally installed my ported manifolds and 3" downpipe this weekend and I now have a question. I hear a lot about a "tick" sound from some who've done a custom exhaust. I'm not sure if this is what I'm hearing.

It sounds almost like an exhaust leak near the top of the downpipe but I can't detect anything leaking. It only "ticks" when under a load. If I'm just cruising, even at 4000 rpm (just to test the sound) there is no sound. It happens only when under moderate to full acceleration. Is this the infamous "tick" that others have mentioned. I'm a little afraid to run it hard at the track until I can find peace of mind on this. :(

Thank you in advance for any input.

Don

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by mybluegtp@May 15 2005, 06:54 PM
did you have any problems with the trans dipstick?
[snapback]83876[/snapback]​

I think the trans dipstick only becomes an issue with full headers, I installed ported manifolds and a custom downpipe.

As for the sound. If this is the infamous "tick", I can live with it. I'm just uncertain wether it's the harmonics of the downpipe or a legitimate leak. I couldn't detect any leak by hand or find any soot collecting around connections.

I guess I'm just looking for some peace of mind so I can go out and beat up on some unsuspecting kids.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info