3800 Too much to handle

S

stonemonk9

Hi everyone, I was posting on clubgp about my friends gtp that i did alot of work on when john jones told me to come here so here I am! Here was my dilemma, we put TOGS, 1.7rockers, VS cam, 3.0 pulley, 180 t-stat, u bend removal, 3" exhaust, and a SS intercooler all on at the same time and took it to route 66 last tuesday and couldnt come up with anything better then 14.05 @ 100. That was quite dissapointng after all that work so everyone at clubgp told me it needs a custom tune some autolite 103s, and possibly bigger injectors. Then some people were saying that the cam combined with the rockers is too much lift with the stock valvetrain and heads, also they thought there would be clearance issues. Well we've been beating on this setup for almost two months and except for the random 0300 code and a slight romp in the idle (probably just the cam and rockers) it runs pretty good. So any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
First welcome to the club. Second where do you live?

There are pleny of people on here who should be able to help you out.

I think you need to slow down with the mods and get us a scan of your car.

There are a lot of us with scanners, you just need to hook up with us. Also, give us a complete mod list from A to Z.....even the little stuff.

GLad you came over. BTW, im John Jones on clubGP :)

S

stonemonk9

I live in LaGrange, and my buddy who owns the car lives in downers grove, thank you royalgtp for telln me about this place it'll be great to actually get some help from people that could be in my area.

Here's a complete list as to what we did......
1.7 roller rockers
3.0 pulley
VS cam
SS Intercooler
TOG headers
180 t-stat
U bend removal
3" exhaust piping into dynomax mufflers
Thrasher Intake
Mass air flow screen removal
Platinum 4 plugs

My dad is thinkn about buying an autotap somtime soon so I'd be able to scan it when he gets that but untill then I have nothing. My friend sent DHP and email with what he has done and is waiting from them to reply back with a price. I was thinkn about going to the hooters club meeting and seeing if anyone had an autotap or scan tool there and could scan the car for us. That would be awesome.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Those plugs are horrible for a stock engine much less yours.....

Got to at least 104s and maybe even 103s.....

Id put that screen on the TB back on....

Get at least a DHP, but optimally get a power tunner......

There are more tehn a few on this board that can help you. Come to MIKE Ks event in 2 weeks.....there will be about 25+ cars thier....at least.....

get some scans in the meantime

WE also have the luxury of having Charles(dhp) and MIKE K (wbodystore.com) for parts and Knowledge.......they live locally.

Casper electronics too! :)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@May 13 2005, 12:09 PM
Umm, do you still have the stock valvesprings? if so you have to be getting valve float.
[snapback]83625[/snapback]​

Oooo......good one. I forgot about that......you need at least ls6 valve springs for the VS......now with the 1.7s.......im not sure.....probably 105s........

If you have valve float, major KR, a bad MAF signal and no aftermarket PCM your cars is gunna run crappy no matter what you put on or spent...

S

stonemonk9

Originally posted by RoyalGTP+May 13 2005, 12:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BumpinGTP
@May 13 2005, 12:09 PM
Umm, do you still have the stock valvesprings? if so you have to be getting valve float.
[snapback]83625[/snapback]​

Oooo......good one. I forgot about that......you need at least ls6 valve springs for the VS......now with the 1.7s.......im not sure.....probably 105s........

If you have valve float, major KR, a bad MAF signal and no aftermarket PCM your cars is gunna run crappy no matter what you put on or spent...
[snapback]83627[/snapback]​
[/b]

ok, were can i get a good set of springs? and youthink 105's for springs?? Anything else we should think about getting? I also think were probably going to go to as many of these events as possible, hopefully you guys will be able to help us out alot. Thanks for all the info.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
wow.
stock springs?
i recommend you stop driving the car.... at least stop running it hard until you get the valvesprings swapped out.

if you are buying an autotap you might as well just buy an hp tuner or charles DHP version instead- what use is scanning the car if you cant do anything with it? both of those have scanning capabilites far beyond that of autotap and give you complete control over pretty much everything.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
your 1.7s are throwing a lot of people off....

its normally 90s....the ls6 springs.

Email zooomer.......he will definetyl know...

Do the springs, T stat, and plugs........then scan.

Plugs are probably 104s at .050

You need to look at your injectors to.......I think its probably time for 42.5s..........mine are almost static with my mods and a 3.0

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
gm parts direct.com is the cheapest I think.......

I just bought them.......forgot what I paid...

Get the springs, 104 plugs, 180 tstat, and DHP.....at least then scan and will see what you have..

But the 1.7s are throwing my off,........ a lot of people do not have that combo .........email zoomer from ZZP and he will give you everything you need as far as springs.......probably 105s though.

Do you have a bigger Down pipe yet.......stock is around 2.1 I think were as aftermarket is 3.0.........thats a good spot for improvemtn in our exhaust system.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by stonemonk9@May 13 2005, 09:09 PM
with a tuner can i also adjust trans settings such as shift skips or can it it only tune for the engine specs
[snapback]83697[/snapback]​

yes, with either a DHP Powrtuner or HP Tuners you can tune tranny settings. It is not limited to just specifically tuning engine parameters...

If you ever need to scan the car or what-not, hit me up, I am in the Forest Park area and can get a couple scans in for your buddy if you are interested.

S

stonemonk9

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@May 14 2005, 09:40 PM
again, id call zoomer about those springs with the 1.7s........

Lifters with a VS cam arnt really a needed item.

Im goign to go with them though becuse of the high milage of my engine and it just makes me go to sleep at night a little easier.
[snapback]83774[/snapback]​

So how do I contact this zoomer guy? I'll talk to him about the springs for sure as soon as i find out how. Also about the downpipe we have 3" exhaust all the way from the headers back.... I think.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by stonemonk9@May 14 2005, 08:51 PM
yea jk99gtp that would be cool....i think we are gonna go to the hooters in downers grove for that meeting tomorrow if you are gonna be up there let me know... also what is zoomers email so i can talk to him about everything.
[snapback]83772[/snapback]​

Unfortunately I will not be able to make this, as I work on Sunday nights..

However if you don't get a scan in, let me know and we can arrange something...

Zooomer's email is : [email protected]

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
Originally posted by stonemonk9@May 14 2005, 10:12 PM
im going to get the ls6 springs.....with those are there any other things i need to get such as pushrods or lifters or would i be good with just the springs.
[snapback]83773[/snapback]​

You know if you are in there, you might as well just change everything out. With all the mods you have I would change everything better to be safe than sorry. I just did the VS cam and changed it all out its just easier to do it and not realize later you should have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info