3800 What did i do wrong?

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Well I went to give a jump to are company van cause it didnt start. I went to get my cables to hook them up, but i wasnt sure where to put them on my battery. Those who have the battery know that you have the side connection and the two on top. Well i hooked them up on top cause it seemed the easiest, but when i had both car/van connected both cars started to smoke by the handles of the cables. I yanked them out so fast i got burned a little. The cable got melted after the handle and it melted somewhat through the top connectors.

What went wrong?

Bad cables? or bad connection?

I want to make sure i dont do it again.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
battjmp3.gif

jump.gif

John

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by LPSPEED2@May 11 2005, 10:39 PM
either way, sounds like bad wires as well, there may have been a loose strand making contact on the other side.
[snapback]83355[/snapback]​
Agreed... Generally the order doesn't matter and is only to spare "shock" to the electrical components and the dolt doing the work. I bet you'll find that the two connected cables became one... Well, actually now for sure they became one. :)

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yellow tops are for high drain automotive applications such as car stereos or police cars. Red tops are for standard issue cars. Blues are for marine.

The Optima people told me if you have a yellow top and do not have a high drain device in the vehicle to cycle the battery it actually voids the warranty because the battery is not used properly.

John

I

imported_snoop

the red and blue batteries are identical. the only difference is one is for water. thats all. maybe a few cold cranking amps but thats it. the yellow ones are stricktly to be drained all the way down and then charged back up. they are not made to take a continous charge all the time. that will fry them. i have been working with optima batteries for 10 years now. yellow are not for under the hood.(not gonna say not for the car cuz they help with the boom-booms ;-) ).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info