3800 Ls1 TB or ZZP s2 tb

• Thread starter imported_Diavolo
  • Start date
I

imported_Diavolo

I've had both on the car but since I rarly ever floor my car, I can't tell the difference between the two.

I currently have teh LS1 TB but I don't have a polished inlet on the blower so it so sort of useless I think.

I had the s2 tuned pretty well but I will be getting a tune on the Ls1 soon (hopefully)

What would you guys recommend? Should I get the inlet to my blower polished? Should I just go back to a S2 TB? Does the maf really matter at my level of modding?

I also can't get my Wizair on with the Ls1 TB, so I am leaning toward the S2 for that reason, but I think that the Ls6 maf is better than the L67 maf so I don't know

Any help?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

In my shoes, I'd sell the Stage 2 while you can, and stick with the LS1. The LS1 is a good mod, but the TPS can give you issues unless the PCM stuff is changed, and that's about it. You''l always get good money for the LS1, but the stage2 TB is on it's way out as prices of the Nstar are dropping. Plus, a TB with that bore and an outboard MAF are better anyway. That's why you don't see a carryover TB in the 2004 and up.

I

imported_Diavolo

ok, should I also look into getting my S/C inlet ported? ZZP is $200 which seams reasonable to me.

Ron, what changes in the PCM should I do? I am going to get the LS6 tables put in and what are the TPS things I should look into? Just when PE and AE kick in?

I am having fuel problems right now so I can't really test out my car very much.

Thanks

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Diavolo@May 2 2005, 03:43 PM
ok, should I also look into getting my S/C inlet ported?  ZZP is $200 which seams reasonable to me. 

Ron, what changes in the PCM should I do?  I am going to get the LS6 tables put in and what are the TPS things I should look into?  Just when PE and AE kick in?

I am having fuel problems right now so I can't really test out my car very much. 

Thanks
[snapback]82145[/snapback]​
Join the club on fuel issues, jeesh. I'm rich everywhere but WOT.

Well, It'd be nice to get the inlet ported, but I don't think you have to. You may want to check with Mike K on that too. LS6 tables, and IFR will get you real close, and the ICCU can do the rest. As far as PE ansd AE, you may not need to mess with it, since you have enough mods to warrant them kicking in sooner. If you have the ZZP LS1 kit, it most likely has the LQ4 (truck) maf.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by sr71_rgl@May 2 2005, 07:47 PM
Sell the LS1.  If the inlet to your SC isn't ported to match the LS1 it's a pointless mod and seeing how the LS1 TBs command a good price used so you could spend the money on something else.
[snapback]82190[/snapback]​
I don't buy into this, If you measure the shaft and throttle plate in the LS1, I could guess it would be about 7-8mm. Subtract that from the 75mm and it comes up having less flow area than the 72 mm SC inlet. Tapering into a smaller bore will also (in theory) improve velocity; so I doubt it's a restriction.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Stock size is 72mm, you can port it w/o enlarging the opening, but all the rage was to bring it to 75mm, and now it's 78mm.

I'm curious to how that helps, because once air gets past that space it'll have nowhere to go. The way it's shaped, it looks counterproductive to hog it all out. The only places you can remove material from will radically re-shape the passage to the rotors. IMHO the shape is already optimized, but has to be cleaned up.

I like the idea of moving up the opening a 1/2" or so, but it's unpracticle.

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
yeah I see your point with that. So do you think I woudl benefit to get a N* TB kit with the spacer tapering down to a 72 mm than rather than havin ghte sc inlet ported to 75 and having a straight through spacer?

also apologize for stealing the thread, but its all kinda along the same lines I thought.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by DaytonaPrixMI@May 3 2005, 11:59 AM
yeah I see your point with that. So do you think I woudl benefit to get a N* TB kit with the spacer tapering down to a 72 mm than rather than havin ghte sc inlet ported to 75 and having a straight through spacer?

also apologize for stealing the thread, but its all kinda along the same lines I thought.
[snapback]82280[/snapback]​
IMO the money is better spent elsewhere, but it will give some gains. Even with a IC, I'd spend the extra money on an alky kit over opening the SC inlet. Drop a few pulley sizes, or kick up the timing with it. The inlet mod is nice, but one of those fringe HP gains.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
I'm not a big believer in the LS1. Its a nice mod but I think its more of a part throttle mod. Cause at PT you get more air in then with a stock TB or stage 2 tb. Also You need to have your exhaust finished and heads to make it worth while or your just going to boost stack with it. You can throw a 100 mm TB on but if you aren't getting the air out what good is it doing you??? None if anything its just going to hurt you. Big reason why I traded mine off for the Stage 2 with Diavolo was cause mine was going to be a daily driver and I wanted cruise back. So for the few times my car will ever see the track again if ever. It wasn't worth the few .001's.

JMHO

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
ok reviving a thread...

mods are

1x cam 3.2/3.0 pulley DHP/ TOGS full exhuast FWI

getting ready for next steps, I need to upgrade injectors as mine are going static from 99-102 at the track this weekend as well.

But what throttle body for my minimal mods would anyone recommend?

I USE cruise control ALL THE TIME so LS1 is OUT.

I BELIEVE you can use cruise with northstar but would a stage 1 or a stage 2 zzp throttle body be better? I just haven't gotten tons of info on all the different types are there are several.

Thanks all in advance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info