3800 front end vibrations after lowering

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I had the same deal with the lowering.

did the whole deal in my sig in one shot. I had vibration problems but they magically went away when I got an alignment done.

You will need special camber bolts to go a few degrees past were the stock bolts will take you......

Get the on the webwsites. Sears wanted 30 a piece for them.........4 needed.

I

imported_AchillesInvention

There are several solutions, but I'm not sure exactly which one works the best because my car is still on stock height. When you drop the motor (suspension) you're just making your parts bend up to reach the wheels, control arms, cv joints etc. You're getting a vibration because you're putting a new angle on the pieces. There are a few solutions -
1 - Putting a shorter bolt on the front endlinks and removing the big plastic washer that's there is said to stop the vibration under acceleration.
2 - Getting a alignment and adjusting the camber a little extra.
3 - Hunterdog has a theory (I agree with him) that if you make new motor mounts that actually raise the motor itself back up near stock, the car will no longer vibrate.
Granted, the third option has never been done, and is going to be the most expensive with R&D and application, but it has the most potential to work. I'm waiting for some hardcore evidence on the first option also. It was suggested by TripleZero from clubgp. Ask him if you want to know more.

Good luck to all of you with low rides...One day I'll drop mine, but I'm gonna hold out until I get out of the midwest, where the weather is retarded, and the roads are unbelievable.

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
1 - Putting a shorter bolt on the front endlinks and removing the big plastic washer that's there is said to stop the vibration under acceleration.

Some have tried this with hit and miss results. My 2000GTP vibrated quite a bit beginning at about 65MPH. 6 months later it seems to have mostly gone away. The change in geometry seems to affect some cars more than others.

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
3 - Hunterdog has a theory (I agree with him) that if you make new motor mounts that actually raise the motor itself back up near stock, the car will no longer vibrate.
Granted, the third option has never been done, and is going to be the most expensive with R&D and application, but it has the most potential to work. I'm waiting for some hardcore evidence on the first option also. It was suggested by TripleZero from clubgp. Ask him if you want to know more.

Hunterdog has been so damn busy that he hasn't tried out his idea yet. Soon, very soon.

The vibration thing has been around awhile. It gets worse when you have more weight in the car i.e. famile and trunk full-o-gear for GPG 04 :blink: .

A member from ClubGP came up with the idea of shifting the motor and trans forward by slotting the dog bones but to me that would put to much stress on the lower mounts. My idea was to modify the mount brackets so they make the motor and trans sit higher and bring the axle angle back close to original and hopfuly eliminate the vibration.

I've done the alignment & the swaybar links and nothing happened.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info