3800 Air to Air or Water to Air/Air to Water

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
water to air uses a radiator with coolant in it that pumps the coolant through the core, similar to a normal radiator on a car. air to air send the boosted air through piping to a large radiator and the boosted air is cooled by outside air blowing past the fins in the radiator, that air then continues back through more piping and goes into the intake.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
intercoolers_G_Core_LiqAir.gif

It doesnt really matter how you say it....people will know what you mean. But technically it should be Liquid/Air Intercoolers....since many people use coolant in colder climates to prevent it from freezing. ;)

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I heard once that the air to air (A/A) IC is prefered with turbo deisel engines cause the air is only capable of achieving ambient temps at best. To me, the same would go for a roots style compressor or a air to water IC. Its cooled by ambient air aswell. Just a different media used to remove the heat from the air at the core.

Whats also a benifit (to me) of an A/W IC is you if you manipulate the flow of coolent through the exchanger. Slow it down or delay to return flow to the core allows more time for ambient air to cool the fluid in the exchanger. This buck for degree makes ANY A/W IC PREFERENCE system more efficient.

In my opinion too many tuners/designers get hung up on CORE designs where the real lack of progress is in the EXCHANGER CAPACITY/DESIGN.
Whats nice about A/W ICs is you can plumb an ICE or DRY ICE cooler in the trunk for track or HD street action. The ice wont last long but has a instant seat of the pants and KR killer power solution.

You can also install an high flow electric fan in front of the IC to remove more heat faster from the fluid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• F
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list