3800 INTENSE Gen I 1.9's

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Gents, I have a set of these for sale. One of my partners decided to upgrade to the NIC cam and has a set of the INTENSE 1.9 rockers for sale. There are about 6,000 miles on these to my recollection. You will be receiving the rockers and modified pedastals. If you're feeling frisky I'll even help you install them.

Asking price is $200.00 and a case of beer if you need the help installing them.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Apr 28 2005, 10:37 AM
And Gen I's don't require upgrading valve springs.
[snapback]81452[/snapback]​

Why are HD springs not required? 1.9 ratio is a 1.9 ratio. I also believe the standard 1.9s are discontiued.
No offense but $200 is alot for those. Id rather add another bone and get the lighter(not that the weight make that big of a differece in most of our applications) Harland Sharp roller rockers AND V springs. I'd never go with a 1.9 without springs. At least 105#ers for a stock install.(easier on the chain) Valve float sucks and is detremental loss to top end performance.
Its not that difficult to install springs provided your in a shop enviroment. Not in someones front yard. :p

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The only reason the Gen 1's don't need the heavier springs is because they have a better balance. The gen 3's are signifigantly stiffer, and to do that they had to add a bunch of material to the nose of the rocker that contacts the valve tip. This lends the gen 3's a tendency to float easier. It's a good idea to replace worn springs, but running more than stock isn't nessacery with the gen 1's.

I have a set of ZZP 1.95 rockers on my car with stock L32 springs. I've played with shifting up to 6200, and never had valve float with them, although if I was planning on normally shifting at 6200, I'd pop for LS1 springs. The 1.9 rockers seem to run out of steam around 6000-6100 rpm, so really not needed.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Apr 28 2005, 01:08 PM
The only reason the Gen 1's don't need the heavier springs is because they have a better balance. The gen 3's are signifigantly stiffer, and to do that they had to add a bunch of material to the nose of the rocker that contacts the valve tip. This lends the gen 3's a tendency to float easier. It's a good idea to replace worn springs, but running more than stock isn't nessacery with the gen 1's.

I have a set of ZZP 1.95 rockers on my car with stock L32 springs. I've played with shifting up to 6200, and never had valve float with them, although if I was planning on normally shifting at 6200, I'd pop for LS1 springs. The 1.9 rockers seem to run out of steam around 6000-6100 rpm, so really not needed.
[snapback]81469[/snapback]​

I sort of got to go against you on this one Ron. While the harmonics may be better and it is sturder with the GEN 1s, at the very least, I would use new springs. Thats if you got miles on the set your putting the new rockers on.

The reason I believe this is the greater amount of coil compression the longer rockers put on the stoker VS cant handle. Well not for a long time anyway. They fitugue quickly.. 105# CC springs were made for rockers. They are more timming chain friendly than the 130# counterparts. Cam=130s rockers=105s. I believe the L32s are a heavier spring. The L32s are new on your car aswell. Just cause you dont have float doesnt mean you cant make a LITTLE more power. Those L32s may be close to a 105 anyway.

The other thing is the LS1 VS designs are technically better spring and are poping up on all kinds of applications. Its the beehive shapes and their effect on valve train harmonis.
I guess im arguing longentivity. Im not saying that it wont work. You may see more power with heavier springs though cause even though you dont have float sharper valve timming is going to give you more bottom end torque/power. You'll make more power the more accuratlly the lifter follows the cam profile.

However, they will wear you seats a little sooner. Nature of the beast.

DOHCZ34

Oct 23, 2008
Twin cities, MN
Real Name
Chris
Originally posted by Mike K@Apr 28 2005, 07:19 PM
How do you know you're getting valve float?  We have many customers running our modified 1.9's with stock valve springs and I have yet to come across an instance of valve float.  This is not to say it can't happen, just that it's rare.
[snapback]81509[/snapback]​

mike i sent you a pm on the rockers....any word?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
At the RPMs I said before, I get a huge bog in power and this insane popping sound. Then when I shift, everything goes back to normal and start pulling again. Its almost like when I get to 5900 RPMs, I just rev higher for shits and giggles since it seems like the car isnt going anywhere.

I disconnected my performance shift button so I dont get that high in the band. I have a set of springs, just have not gotten around to installing them yet.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Apr 28 2005, 06:19 PM
How do you know you're getting valve float?  We have many customers running our modified 1.9's with stock valve springs and I have yet to come across an instance of valve float.  This is not to say it can't happen, just that it's rare.
[snapback]81509[/snapback]​

Fish got this one. However, just because your not getting VF as he was doesnt mean it isnt happening to some degree. As your stock VS wear its going to be progressivly worse.
These high tech roller cams make power under the agressive/fast lobe profiles. Your going to loose power and reliability with lash/slop in your valvetrain. GOOD LUCK.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm still of the opinion that this is a non-issue. Intense Gen I's, ZZP Gen I's, and ours are all pretty much the same and valve float has never been an issue with any of these rockers. Now if a car's getting really up there in miles I can see it being a potential issue but one person discussing a loss of power and a popping noise is not enough to make me cry foul just yet. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info