3800 Need help with selecting a good amplifier...

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
So my girfriend is interested in getting an amplifier for her 4 interior speakers. All of her speakers are Infinity References...so here are the specs...i think:

frequency response 49-21,000 Hz
recommended power range 2-60 watts RMS
peak power handling 180 watts
sensitivity 92 dB

She is considering an amp, because her head unit (forgot what she has) is distorting the sound at high volumes. I was thinking an amplifier would help with give her a much cleaner signal up top. I just dont know what a good amplifier is and what the good brands are these days. Back a couple years ago i had all crossfire amps, are they still pretty good? I dont need any "top-of-the-line" $500+ amps. Just looking for a good quality unit. So what kind of specs should I be on the look out for?

Thanx guys.

1993 sle

Apr 9, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 27 2005, 09:14 PM
So my girfriend is interested in getting an amplifier for her 4 interior speakers.  All of her speakers are Infinity References...so here are the specs...i think:

sensitivity 92 dB

She is considering an amp, because her head unit (forgot what she has) is distorting the sound at high volumes.  I was thinking an amplifier would help with give her a much cleaner signal up top.  I just dont know what a good amplifier is and what the good brands are these days.  Back a couple years ago i had all crossfire amps, are they still pretty good?  I dont need any "top-of-the-line" $500+ amps.  Just looking for a good quality unit.  So what kind of specs should I be on the look out for?

Thanx guys.
[snapback]81361[/snapback]​

Alpine, Kenwood, pioneer and my fav is Rockford Fosgate. I have about $2k in the interior speakers, amp,preamp control and headunit. We wont even touch on the price of the subs and the amps :unsure: BUT anyway, I would look at a 2 channel amp. you know that you will have to run RCA's and run new speaker wire from the speakers to the amp. I recommend that you wire the fronts together and the backs together. You can do this where the factory connector interfaces with the headunit connector..then you just have 2 sets of wires that you have to run back to the amp. If you get a 2 channel amp like this one
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez...ch%20Amplifiers

tthe RF amps are underrated....this will power your speakers Very well and not have a chance of blowing them

of course this is my recommedation, but this would I would do if it was my car, with your speaker specs

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Directed Audio entry level line is called "Xtreme" i have 2 of their amps and they are "great bang's for the buck" i use them pretty hard and they are usually warm to the touch at the most ...i would recommend a good 4 Ch. everyone has their own preference but for the money and the performance these amps are sweet . check out the 4600X ..can be had on Ebay for around 100.00 or so shipepd .

http://www.directed.com/coms.asp

Krobar2

Regular
Jan 9, 2008
Lindenhurst
I work at Circuit City, and my favorite amp to sell was the Alpine MRPT-240. It is a great, clean amp and priced at only $150-$200. But we dropped Alpine, which is so dumb!!! Still mad about that. We are replacing Alpine with Kicker, so we'll see how there equipment is. I'm also a big fan of Directed, that have some great amps as well. HTH

Dave

stixx

Aug 1, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 27 2005, 08:14 PM
So my girfriend is interested in getting an amplifier for her 4 interior speakers.  All of her speakers are Infinity References...so here are the specs...i think:

sensitivity 92 dB

She is considering an amp, because her head unit (forgot what she has) is distorting the sound at high volumes.  I was thinking an amplifier would help with give her a much cleaner signal up top.  I just dont know what a good amplifier is and what the good brands are these days.  Back a couple years ago i had all crossfire amps, are they still pretty good?  I dont need any "top-of-the-line" $500+ amps.  Just looking for a good quality unit.  So what kind of specs should I be on the look out for?

Thanx guys.
[snapback]81361[/snapback]​

I have an Alpine MRV-F300S 4 channel amp sitting on my floor. If youre interested, Id sell for $50. The amp is rated at 30x4.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info