3800 Brakes make me go

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Long story short, old rotors and pads were done and I had them replaced with Autozone Duralast rotors, and EBC Greenstuff pads. Now the rotors never did wear in evenly causing rings, but braking was not a problem, and they were minor. Now I hear scraping from both front brakes and even after releasing the pedal there is slight scraping for a few seconds. These pads are destroying the rotors, and I followed the brake in from EBC to a T, there is no warping tho.. :rolleyes:
IMAG0021.JPG

This ^ is a picture of the worse rotor, and those lines you see running from the hub to the outside part of the rotor are cracks and they are like that the whole way around the rotor. The other side is starting to do that, but hasnt gone asfar as to crack, yet. I will have to get new rotors now. I'll get cheap replacements, leave them on for a month or so then upgrade to the 12" brackets, rotors and use some Raybestos pads.

This is more of a rant then anything.. sorry.

-Nick

Edited:also you can see a ring by the edge of the rotor where the pad must be wearing incorrectly.. are Brembo rotors (not slotted or dimpled, or anything like that) better then autozone's?

2000gtp

Regular
Feb 17, 2008
Omaha,NE
im running ebc greenstuff pads on ebc rotors and have yet to have a problem.... it may just be that the autozone rotors are cheap.. i work at pepboys and the cheap rotors we sell id only recommend to people that are selling the car in the next month cause they are crap... raybestos rotors are good and brembo too....i see the price of rotors to the quality of work... cheap rotors= cheap manufacturing...

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Hmm well I had my car at NTB and they mounted my new tires, aligned it and then called me over to look at my worn outer tie rod, aswell as my brakes. They said the life on the front was low and the life on the back was low aswell. The fronts did infact look low, but the rears I think are fine. I had all four rotors and pads replaced (EBC pads, autozone rotors) about 12k ago. I must be hard on brakes? I dont ride the brake though! The back rotors look fine, no rings, or what not, and I dont think the pad life can be low because they are back brakes which get half the usage. To let NTB do them, or buy the rotors (ebay vented impala ones) buy pads, and the 12" brackets, and learn how to do brakes myself?

edited: if I did go NTB route Id probably give them 12" brackets and get them to put impala rotors on. I do like warranties!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info