3800 Lowering question

Krobar2

Regular
Jan 9, 2008
Lindenhurst
So I was looking at lowering kits today, even tho I dont' have rims and should probably save up for those :rolleyes: But anyways, what do you guys have on your cars? Also, is it a necessity to get struts as well as springs? I have been reading a bit about the combination, and without the struts there is a possiblity of getting that "pogo" affect. Just curious, TIA

Dave

Bliss Racing

Regular
Oct 28, 2008
Originally posted by Krobar2@Apr 20 2005, 11:49 PM
So I was looking at lowering kits today, even tho I dont' have rims and should probably save up for those  :rolleyes:  But anyways, what do you guys have on your cars?  Also, is it a necessity to get struts as well as springs?  I have been reading a bit about the combination, and without the struts there is a possiblity of getting that "pogo" affect.  Just curious, TIA

Dave
[snapback]80468[/snapback]​

I have sport tech springs....2" drop.....and yes, get struts....my stock struts blew with these springs on. I am getting KYB GR2's or AGX's in the next week or two.

I

imported_GraFFix

GMPP springs & KYB struts
it lowers it but doesnt slam it down which is what I wanted. Although it seemed to have settled down a little bit more then it is in the pic. it gives you a rough idea on how it would look.

passside.jpg

Krobar2

Regular
Jan 9, 2008
Lindenhurst
Thanks for the responses, looks like you can't get away without the struts, they just seem to cost a pretty penny :unsure: I may have to wait a bit longer. . .

Originally posted by serotta@Apr 21 2005, 12:36 PM
That's why I went with the GMPP kit, everything's already assembled. It was an easy install and I'm very pleased withthe result.
[snapback]80531[/snapback]​

When you say everything already assembled, do you mean everything that GraFFix recommended?
yea, to make sure everything is good I would get the following stuff...

Springs
Struts
Strut mounts (all 4 IMO)
Anti-pogo retainers

Dave

I

imported_GraFFix

And yes, the GMPP kit comes with everything assembled and ready to mount on the car. Minus the anti pogo retainers but they arent needed for the GMPP kit.

GMPP kit consists of...
Adjutable Koni struts
GMPP springs
Strut mounts
All assembled for you from the factory.

If you go the other route then you will have to buy those things on the list i gave above, then rent a spring compressor to assemble the strut and springs to the strut mounts before you can install it into the car. From my experiance it takes almost as long to assemble them it as it does to install it...

If your going to save the cash then the GMPP lowering kit is worth the money at around $900 or so plus it comes assembled and with adjustable konis...
buying seperate parts will run close to $600...then you got to assemble it yourself.

Its all on what you want to do :) HTH

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
Yes, you just unbolt the old strut assembly, pull it out, and bolt up the new. This was the first time I did any suspension work and it took me about 1.5 hours each on the front and 1 hour each on the back. I gat a ratchetting boxend wrench, because some of the nuts are hard to reach.

Thanks everyone for the responses. College has been kicking my ass lately since I only have 3 weeks left :woot: So I apologize for being delayed. For the extra $300, seems the GMPP kit would be best. I'll still look into it.

Hopefully after I get this goin, my car won't have to be towed again. When the car died on Easter, I had a flatbed come, and when the car was rolling up, I swear I had about half an inch, before it was going to hit the ground. :blink: It will be crazy lowered even more :p

Thanks again,

Dave

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info