3800 New problem: Stuck bolt in the head

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ok so i managed to find a friend with a small enough torque wrench and i checked out my valvetrain. everything looks good- 2 rocker bolts may have been loose (i hope!) but i may have just loosened them and forgot.

get back to putting it all together, and the valve cover bolt broke off into the head.
theres about 3/4- 1 1/2 of a thread showing but i cant get the damn thing out.
the bolt broke off weird, i was hand tightening it and it was loose the whole way down then mid swing of the 1/4in ratchet and it broke?

anyone with any experience on this?
i dont have any easy outs, i dont know if they make them small enough?
and i wouldnt trust myself to do it if they did.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Too bad, grow some balls and get an easy out. :p

you may need to grind the top of the broken part flat. Then just punch the center of the bolt and drill in. Make sure you get the type of easy out that has for sharp corners. The swirly ones dont work as well.

Its easy, but you may need a new sharp drill bit. Now dooooo iiiiiitttt :D

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
If it broke like that may wanna get a tap kit too... may have to rethread the bolt whole? (Cross threaded?)

If there's enough to grab I'd try a set of vice grips first

Also when all back together if there's still ticking, use the screw driver test (if you hadn't already) ... get the longest screwdriver you have and put it on various parts of the motor w/your ear on the end... it acts as a stethoscope

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
going to go buy some tiny vicegrips in the morning, if that doesnt work then ill try to grind a slot for a screwdriver to get it out.

tried the screwdriver stethescope method and couldnt track down the tick, but with ls1s every noise ive ever heard sounded like it was coming from the hollow cam valley- weird harmonics of the block i guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info