3800 PIC

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Should have a 5.2 or 5.9. The standard V8 is a 5.2, but the 5.9 was an option with the 4x4.

I had a 97 2wd, 5.2 V8 with a 5 speed MT, and a 3.55 LSD. They are nice and reliable. The only real downside is the suspension components take a beating on these trucks. I had to replace the ball joints at 50K on mine, but other than that, anything that broke was my fault. The Dodge truck V8's will run forever as long as you keep oil and gas in them.

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Thanks everyone ... it does have the 5.2 (318 CI ) which i think makes a great pulling engine .

SaturdayGS : next time your in town and you see me honk or swirve or something .

Ron : Are you sure 5.9 was an option with the 4x4 ? i looked high and low and didnt see any . I kept finding the R/T 2 wheel dr. with the 5.9. they make a Durango R/T with the 5.9 but that is all wheel drive which sucks . nice truck ...terrible mileage.

Overall iam super happy with the truck , it drives like a car much smother than the GP.. i have read on some forums that these trucks are known for trans issues ... they say 40K and the trans needs a service and some selenoid needs adjusting some iam right around the corner .

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yup, the 5.9 was an option, but they weren't real popular.

They do suck gas...Off the showroom floor I got 12-13 avg MPG. After a free flowing intake, a homemade y-pipe, and bigger exhaust I averaged 15-16 mpg. Better wires and plugs are a must for that engine to wake it up. The best overall mpg I got was 20 mpg on a long trip.

As far as the trans goes...I don't know about the autos; but I trashed my manual at 60K. I had something similar to Cal-track bars in the rear and would launch it hard at the dragstrip. It finally went on the street between a 1-2 shift. I snapped and sheared off just about everything in the case. Since they only made the MT/V8 combo for the first year, that trans was rare, and very expensive to fix. With me pulling and installing the new trans it cost over $3K! They couldn't even get me the original gearing. They swapped the guts out of a Ram 5 speed into my case, which was ok because of the steeper gears.

Also, a 255/65/15 is a perfect fit on those rims, and looks awesome. I lowered mine 3"/5" drop with Nitro shocks, and it handled WAY better than the GP does.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info