3800 97-02 Grand Prix Owners, I Need your HELP!!

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
:( :( :confused: :confused:
I ran into a rather strange problem recently and have an appointment later this week to have the car looked at after having gone on a recent ride-along in my 1998 GTP. Driving normally is fine, but when I get excited or wanna race, I'll really punch it. The car will engage the SC and about two seconds into feeling the increase from the SC, the car will start to stutter/shake in a way so that you don't feel the full power band anymore. In the Fall it was great, but something has happened over the winter!

The dealership wants me to go in and spend $129 on fuel injector cleaning, but my roommate who is an avid street racer, laughs and says don't waste your money! I took my video camera in the car with me and managed to record the sound it makes, and although the file is relatively small, I'm not sure who would be willing to take a watch/listen and give their input? I've tried to attach the movie, so we'll see if it works. If it does, please check it out for me, thanks!!

Lastly, I had sort of the same issue in a previous car, but not sure if it could be the same thing. With the ford, we had to replace the cap and rotor and then it worked great!

ANY and ALL suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

-Mike ([email protected])
-Aurora, IL

I

imported_Theautoguy

If it were a cracked plug or bad wire or coil you'd have thrown a code. As the others said, check for belt slipage. You should have swapped to a smaller belt or larger idler pulley when you went to the 3.4 pulley. If you didn't, it's likely that it's the belt. Otherwise the injectors may need to be cleaned.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
the last two times i've been into the dealership, was to have misfire codes removed. As for the SC, I had a new gatorback put on by ThePizzaGTP and a new idler pulley as well, however the smaller belt sounds like an idea...

Plugs and Wires... I got responses from Tim and Todd at Intense-Racing.com who both said misfire issues as well. If that's the case, anybody suggest certain plugs and wires?

Thanks,

I

imported_Theautoguy

I don't remember which plugs I have, it's been a while but I'd go to the dealership and get a set of factory wires from them. I used to have Taylors but went back to the factory pieces after one of the Taylors went bad in under 1000 miles. The factory wires are good for a long time and are better constructed for extreme use. When I initially had this problem several years ago I tracked it down to a hair-line crack in the ceramic of one plug.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
thats an ignition issue.
used to happen all the time to our GTPs.

runs great untill you open it up, or if you are in 4th gear under high load full boost itll missfire too right?

99% likely its a cracked plug, ill bring my autotap out tonight if you want to find out which one.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
Originally posted by Theautoguy@Apr 17 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't remember which plugs I have, it's been a while but I'd go to the dealership and get a set of factory wires from them. I used to have Taylors but went back to the factory pieces after one of the Taylors went bad in under 1000 miles. The factory wires are good for a long time and are better constructed for extreme use. When I initially had this problem several years ago I tracked it down to a hair-line crack in the ceramic of one plug.
[snapback]79866[/snapback]​

Thanks for telling me about the 1 wire :unsure: , but since then 2 more have gone bad. USE THE STOCK WIRES!!!!! from listening to your SC...I'd say plugs/wires/ or coils.

check the ends of your coil packs(where wires clip on) see if there is any corrosion on them. I would invest in a scanner( I used mine everyday) I'd check your plugs.....get AL104's. regap them. It has something to do with spark. I dont think the belt is the problem....not from your vid clip.

look at 3 things. plugs, wires, coil pack ends. thats it.

How many miles do you have on the car? I dont think Injectors are at fault either.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by GTPPWR@Apr 18 2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for telling me about the 1 wire :unsure: , but since then 2 more have gone bad.  USE THE STOCK WIRES!!!!!  from listening to your SC...I'd say plugs/wires/ or coils.
[snapback]80071[/snapback]​

Don't take that wrong, my reference to the wire going bad was in fact a reference to it going bad after you got them. You make me sound like a "sheister"....YOu wanna buy a watch...it's a Rulex! ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info