3800 downsides to higher stall?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not all the Grand Prix vendors recommend against a cooler. We've been recommending them since day one. For a track car that's strictly 1/4 mile and is trailered to and from the track a cooler is useless but some of the vendors forget these cars are daily drivers.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by CoolGTX+Apr 18 2005, 07:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Apr 18 2005, 10:59 AM
Get a GT converter and be done. GTs have a bit higher stall than the stock GTP.
[snapback]80008[/snapback]​
this is very bad advise!

ONLY drawback is heat.......run a tranny cooler, any size will do.

Low end torque doesNot suffer, power band changes

HTHs
[snapback]80083[/snapback]​
[/b]

Why is it bad advise?? Im just curious.

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by Fish+Apr 19 2005, 12:07 AM-->
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Apr 18 2005, 07:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Apr 18 2005, 10:59 AM
Get a GT converter and be done. GTs have a bit higher stall than the stock GTP.
[snapback]80008[/snapback]​

this is very bad advise!

ONLY drawback is heat.......run a tranny cooler, any size will do.

Low end torque doesNot suffer, power band changes

HTHs
[snapback]80083[/snapback]​

Why is it bad advise?? Im just curious.
[snapback]80129[/snapback]​
[/b]

GT TQ can not handle the power L67 produces, now if you get one with the same stall as GT you're good

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
also heard of people using sunfire convertors, thats dumb if u ask me.

so what would be a good stall to go with then?

i drive the car daily, but dont rely on it to be a daily driver. I dont mind the gas mileage part really, i'm just looking for a nice gain.

what would be the downside of getting like 3800 compared to something smaller?

my intention is to run this year blown, but next year see what i can do with a turbo, so thats why i've been looking at such high stalls.

wont be in the market for something like this for a little while, i just wanna know what i'm doing when the time comes.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
the sunfire/gt torque convertors will Not work for Long in our applications! Either get one made, or get one from ZZP.

stall= higher RPMs it takes to move the car.

stock will move the car at say 1800 rpm, mine with the 300 stall, wont move till like 22-2500. Between the stall and the 3.29 gears replaceing the 2.93, my power band has risen. I also now stay in the powerband when the car shift gears, since it will stay at a higher RPM, after it shifts.

does that help?

edit....so, with all the constant higher rpms(= more heat), I DO recommend a small tranny cooler, for daily driven cars.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Kyle@Apr 19 2005, 04:36 PM
alright thanks guys.
[snapback]80256[/snapback]​

The real advantage of an aftermarket convertor from ZZP or Intense is the fact they weight nearly 7lbs less than the stocker. This means less rotating mass and 7lbs @ 6krpm translates into alot less weight to have to move. This prolongs trans hardparts and frees up a few more ponies too :D

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by Kyle@Apr 19 2005, 05:25 PM
been looking at electric water pumps recently too.

whats everyones thought on that?
[snapback]80274[/snapback]​

My only reserve about a new torque converter is the abuse that it will put on your tranny. With even a built tranny on this car that just adds to whatever it is that will end up destroying it. Especially with a turbo.

the nice thing about turbos and TC is that you can put load on the engine while staging, and build up boost before you leave the line. But that is just that much more power being shocked on an already "weak" tranny.

BC

S

sr71_rgl

My only reserve about a new torque converter is the abuse that it will put on your tranny.  With even a built tranny on this car that just adds to whatever it is that will end up destroying it.  Especially with a turbo.
[snapback]80638[/snapback]​

So not true...

The real advantage of an aftermarket convertor from ZZP or Intense is the fact they weigh nearly 7lbs less than the stocker. This means less rotating mass and 7lbs @ 6krpm translates into alot less weight to have to move. This prolongs trans hardparts and frees up a few more ponies too 

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info