3800 Got my new SC on, no KR

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, I never did open up my intake manifold, or even cut the gaskets back until this weekend. I did all that and put on my 14K mile 2004 Monte blower on, ripped all over at WOT, and never even saw a blip at anytime.

I was seeing a little here and there before, and it was really inconsistant. Ended up that the SC to LIM gasket had leaked from the plenium opening to one of the PCV passages, so oil was getting sucked over the core. It was probably lowering my octane enough to start seeing some KR. To be safe I even started running premium again. Looks like it's OK to go back to 89.

Only problem I'm seeing (or hearing for that matter) is a "whistling" noise. It sounds like it's the pulley itself. It sounds like a cross between whistling and running your finger around the rim of a glass. I could duplicate the noise when I gripped the SC pilley, and turned it with my hand with the belt off. Weird.
My idler pulley is about to go, but that's no biggie.

I didn't notice any difference in boost levels with the ported outlet, stays right at 15psi.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I use 89 everyday, only Mobil. I've been using premium for the last few weeks because I've been cutting back my fueling and wanted to be safe. Over the winter I had the 02's in the .880's with no knock, but to be safe brought them up to .910's over the last few weeks and started seeing KR. I'd like to trim down the fueling during light throttle and idinld a bit more, then start working on WOT again.

I have 28 degrees of timing at idle, and 38 at light cruise. During WOT I have 22 degrees of timing, but I trail it off 3 degrees up top, and cut it down a bunch before the shifts to save the trans. Seems to be working out well, but I'm going to inch the timing down a little when I get the 2.6 pulley on.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by zeez gtp@Apr 11 2005, 07:20 AM
It's definitely a nice setup you got there Ron. Did you ever get your fuel rails finished?
[snapback]78955[/snapback]​
Fuel rails? Ha!

The '04's I was working on are now in the circular file! I worked on them all day Sat. What a total disaster. I had them on and off about a dozen times, and kept running into so many fit problems, that I got pissed and chucked them. I went back to rubber hose, but I used some real nice FI hose from goodyear. The rails are going back to the drawing board.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Apr 11 2005, 12:26 PM
why didnt you go with the 42.5LBs?

Isnt that what most people go to?
[snapback]78996[/snapback]​
Too big for me, I think they're overkill for most others too. If you're not tuning super rich to quench KR, 38#'s should take you deep in the 12's. Besides the bigger the injector, the crappier the idle is to tune. I was able to drop the 38#s in and not even have to tune for them. When it's time to step up, I will, but 40# injectors will go in before 42.5s.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by rjaz gtp@Apr 11 2005, 01:36 PM
Looks like someone was pretty productive then... :D

Where you able to fab that plate for the puller?
[snapback]79022[/snapback]​
Yup, I had a 3" round disc from an old generic puller. I drilled out the center to fit the your pulley puller's shaft through to reach the snout shaft, and drilled the 5 holes to attach it to my mps. Worked awesome, got the MPS off my old blower, and on to the new one in under 20 minutes.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Diavolo@Apr 11 2005, 01:37 PM
I too am looking at 38's.  Ron, did you port the inlet and the outlet for the SC?
[snapback]79023[/snapback]​
Yes, both the inlet and the outlet. I was conservative on the inlet, and really just cleaned it up besides epoxying the EGR divot and such. I used the design of the MP90 as a template for the outlet, and it's a lot larger than stock. Like other's have reported, it does feel strangely smoother now...but no real seat of the pants kick. Boost levels are the same, as I had...15psi, no change.

The 38#s work good, I've had a couple of moments with programming though. If I screw up my MAF table I see the IPW's go up, but If I drop a stock MAF table in then tune the injector table, everything's kosher again.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 11 2005, 04:02 PM
Sounded good Ron.  Cool to see some of your projects reaching their completion states. 

Done any testing with the Alky Circuit....im going to PM you one of these days with some questions about it... :D
[snapback]79056[/snapback]​
Nope, it's still sitting on my shelf. After MGM I'm having a plate made for the TB to accept the injector on one side, and a jet on the other. I'm actually going to use the controller for injecting gasoline first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info