3800 04 Thermostat -- Bleeding Coolant

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I put a 160* thermostat in my car yesterday... well didn't realize i had to bleed air outta the coolant lines (bleeder screw above thermostat) .. on my LS1 it doesn't require this...

so I bled it outta the bleeder on top of the thermo until i got solid coolant coming out (no air pockets)

so 2 questions:

1. Is there anywhere else I should bleed air pockets out?
2. Are the temp gauges in the car actually ... accurate? (99-02 f-bodies were dummy gauges.. cold, normal... too fuggin hot ... 98 were the only ones w/REAL gauges)

Originally posted by horist@Apr 10 2005, 02:22 AM
I put a 160* thermostat in my car yesterday... well didn't realize i had to bleed air outta the coolant lines (bleeder screw above thermostat) .. on my LS1 it doesn't require this...

so I bled it outta the bleeder on top of the thermo until i got solid coolant coming out (no air pockets)

so 2 questions:

1.  Is there anywhere else I should bleed air pockets out?
2.  Are the temp gauges in the car actually ... accurate?  (99-02 f-bodies were dummy gauges.. cold, normal... too fuggin hot ... 98 were the only ones w/REAL gauges)
[snapback]78853[/snapback]​

That is the only place that I bled mine from, it is working fine.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
It is my understanding that bleeding the t-stat from the top of the housing is all you need to do, ir you want to get the excess air out...

...regarding the temp gugaes, I really dont think that they are the most accurate. Cause when I scan my car and see what the real time temp is compared to the guage on the dash I see some variance. I am assuming there is some tolerance that is givien for the stock guages. So dont totally assume what you see is what yo u are getting...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
thanks guys

Looks like everything is bled...

On 99+ F-Bodies the temp gauge is a dummy gauge... difference between a stock and 160* thermo on an F-Body is barely noticable on the temp gauge... (looks like 210 all hte time)

But I've noticed w/my 04, the temp gauge is much lower than before (even getting an SES saying the engine isn't warming up enough or something to do w/the thermo ... gotta scan again ... may be a problem or may just be because it's running cool... low 170s)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• horist
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list