3800 Steering moans?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Recently (last couple of days) I've been getting this weird noise coming from the front end of the car. It sounds like something is rubbing, maybe worn? It happens when I turn the steering wheel in either direction, but doesnt happen all the time. It can happen sitting there and turning the wheel and sometimes while driving but nothing faster then like 10mph.

Things that make me think its NOT the rack and pinion.

-Steering seems overassisted as usual (damn overassisted magnasteer meant for old people).
-Happens once and while, not all the time and can even go several trips without it happening.
-Seems that its more likely to do it on uneven surfaces, but can do it on level surfaces.
-Rack and pinion not making any weird noises, though it has never been serviced (i.e. fluid changed) in 101k miles im assuming since the previous owner did crap for maitnence.

Any ideas?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I'm with ryan, first check the level of your power steering fluid. If it's low it'll tend to make some noise. If that's not it, and you don't think it's R&P, which it doesn't sound like it is, it might be your power steering pump. When they start going bad they start to make a whine and noise. Might want to check those first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SaturdaysGS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list