3800 why am i getting horrible gas mileage?

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
i drive a 97gtp with 79k miles. i filled up yesterday and i've already used about 40% of the tank. :angry: i haven't driven that far either. i think i may have driven about a total of 75-100 miles. according to the dic i'm getting about 18mpg. i'm not driving it hard either. just wondering if anyone knew of any reason why my mileage is so bad. thanks. oh and another thing which is off topic, but when i turn at slow speeds sometimes it makes a thumping noise. like when i'm pulling into a parking spot, or pulling into a driveway, etc.

I

imported_Diavolo

Where are you driving. I see 32 mpg on teh highway but only 15 - 17 around town (of course I never get over 30 mph because I am in a college town).

If you feel 18 is too low, try new plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.

I wsa getting pretty bad gas milage (around 25 on the highway) and I found out that my #6 wire melted onto my header. REplaced taht wire and everything was ok.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
i reset the trip odometer last time i refilled, and i still have about 1/4 tank left and i think i'm gonna get approx 300 give or take 10. but that includes leo's dad beating the hell out of it checking out the trans :) i put some chevron fuel system cleaner in this fill up but i dunno how much that'll help.

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
Im starting to think I should just fill up with regular. I putt around chicago and go 160 miles between fillups getting 12 miles to a gallon :angry2: ....and thats going easy the entire time b/c I know my mpg sucks so bad. I cant imagine what these people with SUVs that never leave chicago streets get....

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
no other ideas for what I could do to increase gas mileage? I've burned 4 gallons and only put on 56 miles... this is insane.. I noticed my car doesn't get to warm the needle never gets even half way up the temp gauge? I don't think it's running rich or anything you can't smell anything and the plugs arn't fouling it hauls ass when you romp on it to?

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by emersonhart13@Apr 29 2005, 09:19 AM
CoolGTX is right, AFC 2.0 or a DHP Powertuner...?

John
[snapback]81576[/snapback]​

my argument is that other people are getting better MPG with out that I'm wondering if I'm missing something? maybe my right foot just needs chill out.. my wallet is saying stop and my foot is saying mash the pedal...
I need to make a friend who has a DHP Powertuner, let me cruise around with it for a day or so and I'll have enough scans to get my maf tables inline raise my shift points and remove that traction control nonsense.. I have a tuner for my T/A I don't need one for my grandprix I'll be playing with the tuner/settings more then I'd be driving the car that's how it is with the T/A probably want to bump line pressure a little bit to..

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
I was getting HORRIBLE gas mileage up until I did some recent engine work. I have no major mods at all...just exhaust, open cone, and 104's (for now :)). My problem was I had a minor leak in my lower intake gasket. I normally only drive my car to work and back. a total of 10.4 miles or less a day, depending on what way I take.

You may want to check and make sure all fluid levels are good, your tire pressure is correct (as that can effect your gas mileage a little), and that none of your plugs are fouled out. I know that once I fixed the gasket leak, my mileage went up to around normal for the amount I drive her (about 16.8 mpg for this week, last week it was 17.3). If I didn't get on her once and a while, she'd probably run better......but you have to remember as well.....judging by your post, I assume you live in Chicago? Probably a lot of stop and go traffic which (as far as I can tell) will also lower your gas mileage versus someone who lives in the burbs and drives in less stop and go than you do.

I'd suggest getting someone with an autotap to scan your car and see exactly is going on while you drive your normal routes. Also, every time you get gas, re-set your mpg on the DIC...it helps to get a better idea on where you are at.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
What are your LTFT? I bet they are in the high negatives. How about your 02's at WOT? I'm beating they are rich too. Hence, you really need a some kind of tuner to adjust for those variables. Of course, you have to follow the basics for good gas mileage - good plugs, good air filter, tires properly inflated, etc.

I get 25 city / 30 highway on my setup.

J.E.T.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by xierxior@Apr 29 2005, 01:18 AM
I noticed my car doesn't get to warm the needle never gets even half way up the temp gauge?
[snapback]81554[/snapback]​

Maybe your T stat is stuck open............which would not allow your engine heat up to the best temperatures and cause excessive fuel consumtion...

Kinda like on a cold winter day and driving your cars right away with out at least not letting it warm up a minute or two....

PVC filter?

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by RoyalGTP+May 6 2005, 12:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior
@Apr 29 2005, 01:18 AM
I noticed my car doesn't get to warm the needle never gets even half way up the temp gauge?
[snapback]81554[/snapback]​

Maybe your T stat is stuck open............which would not allow your engine heat up to the best temperatures and cause excessive fuel consumtion...

Kinda like on a cold winter day and driving your cars right away with out at least not letting it warm up a minute or two....

PVC filter?
[snapback]82815[/snapback]​
[/b]

PVC and PVC o ring have been replaced.. now that it's warmer out the needle does climb to around 190'ish only while sitting in traffic tho

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
replaced the TPS sensor 20 mpg city I couldn't believe my own eyes so I checked the amount of gas used 2 gallons and 41 miles :) that's CITY.

so I'll answer my own questions yes the whistle is normal it's because of the EGR according to clubgp and yes if your TPS sensor is bad your gas mileage will go to shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info