3800 Engine cylinder pressure question

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
If they are partially open, wouldnt you either be gaining or losing pressure based on what stroke you are in they cycle?

Not sure what your saying. The M90 would be pushing enough air to keep the lower manifold at a *constant* 14 psi. The exhaust is always the low pressure side, so flow will always head that way. With overlap, some of the intake air will actually pass by the cylinder.

But more or less, im wondering what the pressure inside the cylinder is right when the intake valve closes....at the bottom of the stroke.

Good question, but in a perfect world, it should be 14 psi, as piston is at tdc, it should be well into the 200psi range.

Oh the perfect world and assumptions....an engineers world :p

I know with air compressors, they lose 2-3 psi across the valves, so Im assuming 1-2 with our engines...eh...time to hit up the search button. :D

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
It may....depends if I can find what equations they use for engines. I mean, i may mess around with some isentropic compression equations, but i dont know whats actually used with engines. Luckily my university has my back and they cancelled all of our internal combustion courses....whew dogded a bullet there :rolleyes:

Ive just sort of got a crazy plan to write some really in depth articles about our cars analyzing/showing the numbers and calculations for our intercoolers, w/a injection, different power-adders, etc.

Im trying to get a lot of experience with engines in my own time and trying to build up a bit of a portfolio type of deal. I graduate in a year :eek:

Im just freaking out... :unsure:

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 7 2005, 02:21 PM
Ok quick question.....if you are pushing 14 psi.  Whats the pressure is in the cylinder before the valve closes?  12-13psi?

Any insight on this type of topic, good webpages, etc, is welcomed.  Thanx
[snapback]78621[/snapback]​

My best guess would be that the pressure is related to the VE of your heads. More flow, more pressure. Less flow, less pressure. Kind of like a restirctor in the oil line for your turbo. Less of an opening, less oil pressure.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list