3800 need help with inventory control...

zeez gtp

Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Bolingbrook
Well, since I started my new position, I have to keep stock for 200+ employees. We have about a 4 page list of the supplies we carry from, toners, pen, highlighters, labels, folders...etc. When people need something, I have to record it on paper. My boss wants me to eventually order only 2 times a month. The problem is, sometimes, people go through print cartridges super fast, and then not need them for a couple months, it's hard to keep a steady flow. I am just wondering if any of you have to keep inventory and what styles/methods you use. Thanks.

Zack

Glasuan

Regular
Oct 8, 2008
I used to keep inventory for a large corporate office. I made sure certain essentials were always kept on hand. Like 2-3 of each printer cartridge, and simply order more when I used even 1. Other things are cheap enough to keep many on hand. That is the best way. Ordering on a per need basis is too much work.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
It'd be a process...but take and put the inventory into a microsoft excel program...

easier to do counts...and you can always have it available. Plus you can group you're items in different ways to organize it a way you think you'll like better...

I use excel alot, I just find it simpler for my needs...

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
I just got the job of keeping track of Inventory for the Marketing Department at my job....it's a pain in the a$$...nothing is where it should be and everything's all disorganized. Anyway, like Dole said, use Excel and put everything in there. You can keep a running total of what goes out when and it makes it so much easier to track and order. You can have multiple pages, sections, formulas etc to keep you up to date on everything.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
How long does it take to replace used items? How many do you typically use during that period? That amount would be your safety stock..ie: reorder point.
Supplies like that are tough to set up to order only twice a month. Can you see how many you used last year as a referance point?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I'm not sure of any programs out there... but a simple way... take a month or two and keep track of what comes in and what goes out via an excel spreadsheet... from that you can determine trends (though trends generally require more input, and that short of time will miss some not heavily used items) ... then you'll have a baselin efor what you use in a month so you know what you need to stock

Could even design a database, and keep track of not only what but by who... then track who office supply abusers are and have management request a reason as to why they are using more office supplies than everyone else ... (either by amount of items, or total dollar amount ... items such as printers would relate to a department instead of person ... etc...)

Or... you could have everyone go to a paperless office :) (though depends on the equipment... IE laptops or projectors that are available) ... I don't think I've had to get office supplies from work in at least 2 years... other than printer paper every so often .. pens last forever, notepad is easier than a sheet of paper ... etc...

I

imported_Theautoguy

Excel is a good idea. You may also benefit by starting a dialogue with an office supply company like Boise, Staples or Office Max. You can utilize their availability for quick shipping to reduce your supply inventory. Further, you may be able to negotiate freight and discount terms as well. Make them work for you, streamline the process, free up more of your time to accept more responsability and ultimately a promotion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info