3800 Question bout Race Gas

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
So i am going down to St. Louis on Tuesday to race with my brother in his new GTO at Gateway Raceway. i dont know to much about race gas... but my bro said there is place with 100 octane near his condo. with my mods listed below, would a quarter or half tank of 100 octane actually help me or would it just be a waste of money?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You cannot advance more timing than the computer is programmed to. Adding race gas will not add more timing. You should know that a computer can only do what it is programmed to do.

I heard there is a trick to where you reset the PCM and it will command a huge amount of timing w/race gas. IIRC, it was on ZZPs page.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Fish is right. I'll put in 5 gallons of 104 at the house then beat the piss out of it for the 30 minute drive to the track. This allows the PCM to adjust to a more aggressive driving style combined with the cooler burning gas.

It doesn't add timing, it helps reduce knock where knock will prompt the computer to pull timing to prevent detonation.

BTW...Who in the Hell started this "Race Gas" term??? WTF is race gas? You "NAAWWWSSSSSS" (ie., nitrous) generation kids are now applying generic terms to fuel! It's 100, 104, 110, Turbo Blue, etc... not "Race Gas"! I swear, if I here that term used in some cheesie car movie in the future...I'm jamming a couple of rusty spoons into my ears and moving to Mackinaw Island!

Further, for those of you pimple heads running 110 octane "Race Gas", check you O2's, they don't like leaded gas. Try a Sunoco supplier, they sell 104 unleaded.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Diavolo@Apr 4 2005, 08:14 AM
You want to run the lowest octane possible without seeing any KR.  If you are seeing 0 kr on 93 octane, you will actually run slower if you add 100.
[snapback]78138[/snapback]​
Hit the nail on the head, even better to run 89 or 87 if you can. It will burn faster = more time to do it's work = more power.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by Diavolo@Apr 4 2005, 08:14 AM
You want to run the lowest octane possible without seeing any KR.  If you are seeing 0 kr on 93 octane, you will actually run slower if you add 100.
[snapback]78138[/snapback]​

I forgot about that, you're absolutely right.

As for "pimple heads"; If you think I was refering to you ("you" not being anyone specific) then you are a pimple head. You pimple heads know who you are.

Sorry, I'm irritable today, I jacked my ankle and back up doing landscaping this weekend. I'm home from work sucking Alieve and vicotin...Woo Hoooo!

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by horist@Apr 4 2005, 11:20 AM
I always run race gas when I'm using naws, it's required when I have the bling bling on my shiznit.  I generally mix in 2 cans of octane booster w/race gas too!  It's the shiznit ... I guestimate I'm running about 124 octane between the 110 and the 2 cans of octane booster...

[snapback]78153[/snapback]​

:lolsign: Thank you, you get it!

I'm still mourning the replacement of the 302 with the 5.0 and the 350 by the 5.7!

I'll get over it.

Back to pimple popping boys!!! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info