3800 2000 Mustang GT's are the suck

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
OK they arent that horrible, but i hate how the drive. My car is down right now so to run errands or get parts I have to use my roomates mustang. I cant really complain too much, because the car does have a little power in it, but the ride sucks. If you push the pedal in a little bit you wont go anywhere, move it another milimeter and your jolted back in your seat. There isnt anything remotely close to smooth acceleration in that car. If you hold the pedal at one constant place, you will have your strong parts of the rpms and the weak parts. Do that with a grand prix, and its steady acceleration all the way through.

Just an annoying ride....

But I do love the looks i get when people see a college kid in a GT.. :p

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
the mustang is cable operated, not electronic.

and i agree the gas pedal is the absolute biggest peice of shit ive ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I owned a 2000 mustang GT with an auto( im assuming your roomates is an auto) and you either have 1/8 throttle or WOT, there is no in between. it was impossible to run that car at a poorly prepped track, you cant roll into the throttle like a grand prix.
the 98-03 grand prix's are actually one of the few automatic equipped cars that you can roll into the throttle with, so you are a little bit spoiled to begin with.

the weirdest thing with the mustang is that if you roll into the gas in first gear you start moving, and then it feels like when you get to about the halfway point of the throttle it Downshifts (out of first gear mind you) and begins going. If youve ever driven one you know what i mean.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 3 2005, 04:47 PM
But I do love the looks i get when people see a college kid in a GT.. :p
[snapback]78049[/snapback]​

What's weird to see? I go to a local college and I see tons of people driving Mustang GT's, Camaro Z28's, M Coupe's, and a Cobra or two.

On a side note, my daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT. I haven't noticed anything similar to what you said about the throttle, only thing is that it gets really sensitive at near WOT positions. There is a small difference between all the non-WOT positions, but when I actually floor it, the engine roars and the car takes off.

The handling pisses me off the most. I went from driving a 3-series to my mustang, and at times the difference is a tad overwhelming. Can't wait for my suspension to come in though.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by NetChemica@Apr 6 2005, 09:33 AM
What's throttle steer?
[snapback]78449[/snapback]​

Steering the car w/the back wheels by applying more torque than the wheels can hold to the surface thus causing hte back end to move :) Breaking the rear loose in a controlled fashion to achieve a desired position (I used to do it all the time to whip my car into a tight parking spot at the grocery store)

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
What's weird to see? I go to a local college and I see tons of people driving Mustang GT's, Camaro Z28's, M Coupe's, and a Cobra or two.

Your a college age guy no?

I get the looks from the "adults" in my neighborhood and around town.

On a side note, my daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT. I haven't noticed anything similar to what you said about the throttle, only thing is that it gets really sensitive at near WOT positions. There is a small difference between all the non-WOT positions, but when I actually floor it, the engine roars and the car takes off

Dont know what to say, this thing does it all the time. Its not so much in the "light" acceleration. Its in the medium to hard acceleration area. Is yours automatic also?

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Originally posted by horist+Apr 6 2005, 10:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NetChemica
@Apr 6 2005, 09:33 AM
What's throttle steer?
[snapback]78449[/snapback]​

Steering the car w/the back wheels by applying more torque than the wheels can hold to the surface thus causing hte back end to move :) Breaking the rear loose in a controlled fashion to achieve a desired position (I used to do it all the time to whip my car into a tight parking spot at the grocery store)
[snapback]78454[/snapback]​
[/b]

Never heard anyone call that throttle-steer. I refer to it in the oldschool way: over-steer. It's quite fun in bad weather when you get understeer, gentle clutch-gas-clutch and I'm turning again :D .

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY+Apr 6 2005, 10:43 AM-->

Your a college age guy no?[/b]

Yep, COD (if you're in the DuPage area). Other than that, it's just a community college, just need some credits to get my E3 ranking in the airforce.

<!--QuoteBegin-98 TGP TOY
@Apr 6 2005, 10:43 AM

I get the looks from the "adults" in my neighborhood and around town.
I know what you mean, wherever I drive, I get people thinking I'm speeding. A teenager with temp tags in a mustang gt, bad combination.

Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Apr 6 2005, 10:43 AM

On a side note, my daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT. I haven't noticed anything similar to what you said about the throttle, only thing is that it gets really sensitive at near WOT positions. There is a small difference between all the non-WOT positions, but when I actually floor it, the engine roars and the car takes off

Dont know what to say, this thing does it all the time. Its not so much in the "light" acceleration. Its in the medium to hard acceleration area. Is yours automatic also?
[snapback]78455[/snapback]​

Yep, it's all automatic :(. I was hoping of buying the tranny and flywheel/pressure plate assembly off a wrecked GT (alltogether, the OEM parts cost ~$1200, a junked one should be a lot cheaper), but I'm really worried about the balance issues. Don't feel like dishin out another 800 to balance the new flywheel and a couple grand to pull the motor in and out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info