3800 Transmission Questions...

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
I just wanted to ask a few questions about transmissions to those that have dealt with them and had thiers re-built already.

If I am correct our stock gears are 2.93?

What does it mean going up to a 3.29 gear?

What is your benefit for going up to the 3.29?

What other parts do you need to adjust on the car if you change that? pcm?

I think my tranny is ready to go soon, and I am just curious on some of these different things I have read about gearing and stuff.

Excuse my ignornce but I really don't fully grasp all that is involved in a tranny re-build...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
stock is 2.93 correct

going to 3.29 is a shorter gear ratio which means you get through each gear faster which means you get to and through your powerband faster, thus accelerating faster. (gas mileage will do down a little)

If you get the 3.29 done, you will need the reluctor wheel, or get your PCM tuned by charles for the 3.29 gearing. THat is what i am doin when i get my car fixed.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by rjaz gtp@Apr 1 2005, 09:21 AM
If I am correct our stock gears are 2.93?
Yes.

What does it mean going up to a 3.29 gear?
You are changing the ratio at which the power is delivered (like changing gears on a bike).

What is your benefit for going up to the 3.29?
Quicker acceleration, slightly worse gas mileage. My 3.69s woke the car up. I never would have expected a difference this drastic.

What other parts do you need to adjust on the car if you change that? pcm?
Just a PCM flash. Dave Buckshaw at DHP should be able to do this for you or you can tune it out with the tuner.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
So Mike do think its worth it if I need to have the tranny re-built to have the 3.29 gears done instead of staying with the stock gearing?

I do think I saw something on the Power Tuners forum saying they will correct your PCM for the 3.29 gears...

syP, did you have your tranny re-built by Leo? They actually did the 3.29 gears for you? Or you are going to have this done?

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
ignored? Sorry if anyone felt that way we arent trying to ignore anyone, i had probably left already for the day. What did you need J/O, or your friend? And what were you told by my dad that you didn't like? I'm just trying to fill in some gaps, i have no idea what was needed or talked about yesterday, help me out a bit ;).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info