3800 SSEI in kr trouble

smknL67

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
Bensenville
Allright guys My older brother needs some help. He drives a 97 Bonneville SSEI and decided to put a 3.4 pulley on it, he already had an intake on it and at first it was fast right off the garage then it just started acting up like if it was loosing power, So I suggested him to get the autolite 103 plugs 180 stat and see what happened and well then I had it scanned at my buddys shop. My buddy couldn't read the kr levels but he told me that the pcm was pulling a lot of timing just at idle and that at wot it was pulling 30 degrees of timing away :angry: , Now I need help on what to do with the car. I already told my bro to oder a pcm either an Intense pcm or a dhp. What else should be done to the car to get it to go?

Can anybody scan my bro's car to see exactly how much kr its getting? Im willing to pay you and drive wherever your at, hopefully somebody not that far (less than 2 hr drive from besenville)

With what I saw with his pulley swap kinda scared me from doing a pulley swap to the park avenue, How did you guys feel your gtp's after the pulley swap? Any issues like the car acting up? Any programing needed after?

Any help will be greatly appreciated guys, sorry for the long post I just wanna get these bad boyz in rice burnin' mode :blink:

i would suggest AL104`s not the 103`s..a 180* stat is necessary to support those mods..160*even better.. i know its probably too late but i would have said to use a 3.5 pulley for your mods. i love mine. and i dont know if DHP or Intense makes pcm`s for that engine. im not too familiar with the exhausts on that H-body but you may have some restriction; catalytic converter?? i love the idea of a hot-rodded Park Ave too! grandma and grandpa look out! :eek:

smknL67

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
Bensenville
Hey preussen Where do I get AL104's from? Intence zzp? I'll tell my bro to yank out the 103's and get these. Oh and I'm glad that some body else besides me enjoys the crazy idea of modding ol' grandmas grocery getter :lolsign:

Glausuan, He is using premium gas, Its strang to me too how his car is acting after the pulley, now hes got a checkengine light and the car seems like its misfiring ever so slightly. I don't know but I think his mods are very minimal for his car to act this way :angry: . I'm assuming he's got a very restrictive pcm. Thanx for your input glausuan, I hope that the plugs and pcm solve his problem, I'll let u know

I gotta thank the administrator thalord cause hes gonna scan the car.

GOD i love this forum :)

Glasuan

Regular
Oct 8, 2008
The pcm is not the problem trust me. My Kr went up with my PCM, because it increases timing. There could be any number of general car problems, but the too cold plugs could be part of it. I personally run Autolite 605's (1 step colder). With minimal Kr. You would be ok with 104's, but 605's would work better.

Glasuan

Regular
Oct 8, 2008
From the intense web site, they use AL605's with their stage 1 performance package.

The INTENSE™ Level 1 L67/L32 Performance Package includes:
SCA-039 - SLP Cold-Air Induction Package
SAB-042 - High-flow Smooth Intake Bellows - L32 equipped vehicles ONLY
IMH-340 - INTENSE™ Modular Pulley System with 3.40" Pulley
GB6-660 - Goodyear Gatorback Supercharger Belt
TST-180 - INTENSE™ High Performance 180°F Thermostat
ASP-605 x 6 - Autolite® 605(one heat range colder than stock) Copper Core Spark Plugs
PCM-xxxxx-xxxx - INTENSE™ Standard Powertrain Control Module

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
The check engine light and the "slight" misfire kinda scares me, when he pulls out those 103's check for any bent electrodes, im going somewhere with this but dont want to scare you/him. I could probably scan the car to see what the codes are, but my scanner doesnt log data, but it will show timing advance/retard in realtime. Its one of those scantron dealys.

The plugs in the car are brand new they were put on try to solve the problem, but Im gonna have him replace the new plugs with the right ones, He told me that tomorrow he's gonna try to get a hold of the lord to get him to scan the ride, Im leaning more on the wires, I think its been over a yr and a half that he hasn't changed the wires on the car. ( he's lazy lol) Im also gonna check the coil pack and make sure its not the coil pack thats causing the ride to act up.

Well see tomorrow :unsure: , crossing fingers hoping its just the wires

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Is the light blinking?? Or is it constantly on?? Does the car surge when you go WOT?? You might also wanna make sure the plug wires are securly on the plug and on the coil pack.

Usually when people put the 3.4 on, its usually a big grin, now damning the car to hell. :lolsign:

smknL67

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
Bensenville
Well the car has been scaned and the problem has been found, the tranny is going bad :angry: thats where the check engine came from

The good thing is that I have a tranny friend that will hook my bro up, The car is only getting 4* of kr , which aint too bad but we gotta work on getting down to at least 2, the new 103's are going out and new 104's are going on along with new wires (anybody know where I can get some nice performance wires? LInks?)
180 stat was just put on a few hours ago and I'm still waiting for the intense pcm, if this don't bring it down some then Were gona go ahead and get ported manifolds.

thanx for your help guys. :)

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
Yeah, I told him the last thing to do, would be to add an aftermarket PCM

He wasn't getting an average of 4 degrees, this was only at the VERY peak of it... His average KR was about 1 degree or so, and from partial throttle WOT runs, he would see about 3 or 4 degrees.

His O2's were about 920 or so... He was throwing a P1811. Overall the car scan was pretty good. I told him to put 104's in (instead of the 103's) and put in the new T-stat, and we can scan again to make sure everything is gold, before he puts in the new PCM, and then we can drop it in, and scan again, to make sure everything is good... Once we scan again, we an note some changes, and off to INTENSE it goes, for some changes which I think they do pretty cheap... This way he has a full custom PCM, that matches his mods, for a pretty cheap cost.

My only concern was the P1811, and the fact that he said he would bounce all over the RPM range everonce in a while... gotta get that tranny looked into.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info