3800 Speeding Ticket.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well the girl and I were out driving the other night heading to the Peoria Best Buy. We have to drive through a town called Pekin to get there. I am stopped at a stop light waiting to make a left turn. It is night time. Light turns green, and I get on it somewhat hard. An officer is parked on the opposite side of the road with his lights turned off. I see him, let off the gas and look down. I am doing 54 mph. Honestly didnt know what the speed limit was, and had only planned to shift out of first and then let off. Also, I have smaller than stock tires, and havent fully corrected it in the pcm. So I was more than likely doing 53 mph. The road had a 45 mph speed limit. Right when I let off the gas I hear my radar detector give out one beep.......then a second beep. For those who have radar detectors, you know that this is a far cry from being shot. When im shot with radar, I get a full on annoying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppppppppppp....until the radar is pass. After i pass the cop, he turns his car on and pulls a U-turn to chase after me. I am doing 45 mph. He follows me for a block or two and then turns on his lights. A second after turning on his lights, he turns on his search light and shines it straight into my rear view mirror. So imagine being in a car, then a truck pulls behind you, turns on his brights....and then multiply that by 5. Honestly, I could barely see the road any more, and this is with the autodim feature turned on. So I barely manage to pull to the side of the road because there are varying ditches to avoid. Cop walks up and tries to set a trap:

"Any reason you were doing 59 in a 45?"

"I wasnt going that fast, officer."

"license and insurance, bla bla bla"

Walks back to car and im expecting a warning for several reasons. I wasnt doing 59, he didnt get me with radar, and I didnt fall into the trap of admitting I was going 59. Sure enough he comes up a couple minutes later with a ticket. Hands it to me, and is about ready to walk off when I ask him about changing the court date because I go to school in a different state. He says he doesnt control that, and I must contact the courts. Then he turns and walks away.

I had no chance of asking for the radar, and the guy was being a complete dick. You know when people come up to you and start talking and dont give you any time to ask a question.....yea those people are usually trying to get through a lie.

So my thoughts right now are to pay the ticket, get 3-months court supervision and file a complaint with the Pekin Police Department. The complaint will mainly deal with the blinding spotlight while driving 45 mph at night, then also make reference to the lack of radar and the speed I never reached.

What are you opinions on my options?

Sorry it was soo long :lolsign:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Ya i kind had the same thing happen to me. I am in Houston Texas going to UTI and after school I am driving to the Pontiac dealer taking the back roads. I am going over a bridge and comming to a stop sign to make a right turn. I stopped used a signal turned and went on. I noticed a cop sitting on the left side of the road and so i let off and looked the the speedo, it read 32mph. My radar detector did go off. Then i look in my mirror and he is on my ass with the lights on so i am freaking out, never been pulled over before.
Cop: Whats the speed limit
Me: 30
Cop: Do you go to school here?
Me: yes
Cop: well, you were doing 40, and it looks like you did not make a complete stop. Licence and Insurance.
So he gives me a ticket for speeding and running a stop sign. I went to court and i got the stop sign droped but i had to pay for the speeding ticket.
The cop was a dick to me too and i could not ask him a question . I think the wqanted to get me for any thing and everything because i am a "Yankee" i have a nice car for a young adult to have, bright silver gp with rims tints exhaust ect..., out of state licence plates, and i am in school.

Thats my story and my advice, just do what ever it takes to keep it off your driving rechord

if it was a local yokel and not a state police you stand a chance of winning if you fight it. your past driving record has alot to do with how you will be treated in court. my argument would be that there was heavy traffic and the officer mistook you for another speeder..find out if the the radar gun had ben properly calibrated before the ticket was issued. and remember that radar does NOT work in hilly areas..use that to your advantage somehow. dont dress like a punk in court either. wear something nice. you want the judge to see what a nice boy you really are :) good luck sueing the department..shining the light into the rearview miror is S.O.P

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Thanx for the replies. :)

your past driving record has alot to do with how you will be treated in court

Two speeding tickets and a peeling out ticket :(

my argument would be that there was heavy traffic and the officer mistook you for another speeder

Only car going my direction :(

find out if the the radar gun had ben properly calibrated before the ticket was issued.

How can this be done? :)

Also, are city codes the same as city ordinances? Where would one have to go to get their hands on the city ordinances?

Thanx... :D

I

imported_Ron Vogel

They are supposed to have the calibration info with them in court, if they don't they may drop it or issue a continuance. I would also mention there was a discrepancy between what you were going and the radar, and were not given the opportunity to see the gun at the time of the citation. They may not allow you to use the calibration issue since you did not get to see it anyway, but I would ask about it since what you were going and what they clocked you at was different.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
lol

i don't think i've ever heard a story where the person was acutally guilty of the crime they got a ticket for.

I had traffic school about 7 years ago, I got into an accident, and the teacher asked the class who here is guilty. I was sitting in the front row(darn alphabet) I raised my hand and as I turned around, of over 30 people sitting in the class I was the only one who was admitting it. I just find it funny.

Kustomkid54

Regular
Oct 21, 2008
Take it from someone that knows. Pay the ticket. Don't say a word.
I received a ticket in Roseville, Michigan. 31 in a 30. I was driving a 1970 Nova, built to the max.
I said fuck him. I'm fighting this one. When I got to court, I was asked on thing from the judge, "is the any way you where doing 31 MPH?" I said "NO". I was watching my speeed when I seen the cop. Judge asked me if I took my eye off the road for that long of a time, I couldn't have been watching the road.
Cost for ticket, $50.00. Court cost, $75.00. Life long story, priceless.

Pay the ticket.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
lol

i don't think i've ever heard a story where the person was acutally guilty of the crime they got a ticket for.

You show me where I said I wasnt guilty of speeding...and maybe ill laugh with you ;)

I actually admitted I was doing 8-9 over the speed limit. But thanx for your input :rolleyes:

Take it from someone that knows. Pay the ticket. Don't say a word.

Thanx for the suggestion. Im not really gunho about beating this ticket. I just didnt know what my options were as far as handling it. If it cost less for me to pay the ticket and court supervision, then I will just go that route. Just looking to see if anyone had the inside details or not.

Thanx for the info Ron. Much appreciated.

[
I received a ticket in Roseville, Michigan. 31 in a 30. I was driving a 1970 Nova, built to the max.
Pay the ticket.
dont listen to this dude! i have been to court more times than i care to mention, and have gained some knowlege about our courts. for one, there is no judge that would even consider even looking at a ticket for one mile over the speed limit.. thats just bs.. with your priors GTP toy, i think the only leg you have to stand up on is if the radar gun was properly calibrated.. sounds like you may have to capitulate to this one and plead guilty. friggen instant on radar :angry:

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
That seems to be the route to go. Which is fine, i just wanted to see other options. Its just annoying that a policeman can have full control over someone so easily. Drives me nuts.

friggen instant on radar

My last speeding ticket i got was doing 84 on the highway. I was hit with the instant-on radar, and you stomach just drops. But thats not what I was hit with this time. There is no way he got me with radar....none.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
If you want to fight it your best bet will be to get a lawyer. Costly? yes. But it shows the judge you are putting money back into the system, and unfortunately they like to see that.

If you try to fight it yourself, it will just get you into more trouble...

Hit the DMV and get a court's abstract drivers record (12$), its pretty much your driving record to a tee. It will give you a good idea on how your going to be treated by the judge/prosecuter...

Your other option? Pay the fine and be done with it...

Its up to you how you want to work it...

Also make sure you wear ripped jeans and an Iron Maiden t-shirt to court, judges love that :lolsign:

PS: j/k about that last statement

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Mar 28 2005, 02:21 PM
Thanx for the replies.  :)

your past driving record has alot to do with how you will be treated in court

Two speeding tickets and a peeling out ticket :(

my argument would be that there was heavy traffic and the officer mistook you for another speeder

Only car going my direction :(

find out if the the radar gun had ben properly calibrated before the ticket was issued.

It cant be done unless of course you have a stellar record, or you can get a lawyer and pay about $150. When you get a ticket your dealinf with the state of Illinois. There A-holes unles of course you know someone in the middle such as a lawyer. Whos going to believe you over a cop. Shit I dont think the Pope could get out of a ticket in Illinois. My mom got a ticket about 5 years ago doing 10 over. The cop was there and the judge looked at the cop as if he ws a moron. He said this lady hasnt had a ticket in over 20 years. YOUR WAISTING MY TIME he said. I got a little chuckle out of that, but then I got yelled at by the judge.

GOOD LUCK!!

Also, are city codes the same as city ordinances? Where would one have to go to get their hands on the city ordinances?

Thanx... :D
[snapback]77220[/snapback]​

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois

It cant be done unless of course you have a stellar record, or you can get a lawyer and pay about $150. When you get a ticket your dealinf with the state of Illinois. There A-holes unles of course you know someone in the middle such as a lawyer. Whos going to believe you over a cop. Shit I dont think the Pope could get out of a ticket in Illinois. My mom got a ticket about 5 years ago doing 10 over. The cop was there and the judge looked at the cop as if he ws a moron. He said this lady hasnt had a ticket in over 20 years. YOUR WAISTING MY TIME he said. I got a little chuckle out of that, but then I got yelled at by the judge.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info