3800 TA test drive.....not to impressed

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
SO I took a 2001 TA ram Air out for a test drive this weekend and was not to impressed wiht its raw power doing test drives from around 0-65

Granted it was automatic but it really did not feel that fast. The automatic seemed so slow. It really needed a skip shift or something.

It sounded mean as hell though.

So do mustang GTs though! :lolsign:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by horist@Mar 20 2005, 09:19 PM
01 will have tons of torque management in it between shifts,  also the stock converter is WAY too tight imho ... though I'm driving w/a 4400 stall and think it's perfect heh

A stock automatic isn't going to feel like much special though,  drop a converter in (even a baby 2800) and then the fun begins
[snapback]76252[/snapback]​

Yeah, I rmemeber you telling me about needing a TQ cxonvertor for a auto tranny......

Would a good PCM do wonders for the TA TC control and shifting issues.

It just felt so soft between shifts and took long as hell too.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Mar 21 2005, 10:32 AM
does a new PCM help a lot for F bodies like it does for our cars>?
[snapback]76293[/snapback]​

On a stock car they don't help a ton but it would be noticable. There are probably 50 or so sponsors on ls1tech that offer basic tuning. Basic tunes generally include disabling emissions codes, fan settings, torque management removal and shift point adjustments.

Or you can look at buying a tuner package and making these changes yourself (not as hard as some think... just a matter of learning and taking baby steps)

Most places require you to send your PCM in and they'll send it back.. a few offer a core fee, but I'm not aware of any that will sell a PCM outright (When I first got my car dyno tuned in 03 I had purchased a spare PCM in 02 due to some LS1 Edit issues, I paid 150 for the spare so that's probably about what most shops would charge for a core)

On a stock car though the performance improvements w/a basic tune will be mostly in how the car feels

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info