3800 Car is sooooooo slow

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
My car has shown a dramatic decrease in power through the past 4-5 months, it can now barely beat a stock tiburon gt, which is pretty damn slow. I dont feel a kick in the power like i used to and the car doesnt throw me back in the seat anymore. It just feels like a dog, I have no SES light and nothing is coming up on the scanner, can it just be the engine getting tired or starting to go??? I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or might know whats up.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by LPSPEED2@Mar 15 2005, 09:38 AM
My car has shown a dramatic decrease in power through the past 4-5 months, it can now barely beat a stock tiburon gt, which is pretty damn slow.  I dont feel a kick in the power like i used to and the car doesnt throw me back in the seat anymore.  It just feels like a dog, I have no SES light and nothing is coming up on the scanner, can it just be the engine getting tired or starting to go???  I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or might know whats up.
[snapback]75596[/snapback]​
Call me back and let me know if you guys are tearing my tranny down today. If yes, I'll take a look at it while I'm out there. :)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Do you see black residue on your hood above the pulley for the SC or around it? I'm asking, because it may simply be the belt slipping. They are only good for about a season, and once it starts to slip, it gets worse the longer it goes because it polishes the pulley as it slips.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by LPSPEED2@Mar 15 2005, 01:08 PM
I changed to autolite 104's at the mid-end of summer, at Leo's(2kredghost) house.  I'l check those, i was planning on changing them before i drive down to florida next week.
[snapback]75628[/snapback]​

FYI...the plugs might not look bad (sooty/dirty) but the gap might have spread. In my situation the plugs are super clean but the gap expands to the point where I'm blowing out the spark at anything over 11psi. At less than $1/plug (103 coppers) I just gap new ones and replace the old and it's AG for another 3 months until the gap spreads again.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Reason I asked...the trac control system will pull injectors to lower power output. It also hleps pop pistons! It's the only explanation I can think of why a 3.4 pulley would pop a piston. The first thing I did when I got my PT was to disable any injector disable in the PCM.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Mar 16 2005, 12:44 PM
Reason I asked...the trac control system will pull injectors to lower power output. It also hleps pop pistons! It's the only explanation I can think of why a 3.4 pulley would pop a piston. The first thing I did when I got my PT was to disable any injector disable in the PCM.
[snapback]75772[/snapback]​

Correct me if I'm wrong but wont the injectors cutting out only apply if he had lost all traction and was spinning the tires at a VERY high speed (ie flooring it on ice)? He made it sound like he was just driving normal when it happened.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by sr71_rgl+Mar 16 2005, 01:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ron Vogel
@Mar 16 2005, 12:44 PM
[snapback]75772[/snapback]​

Correct me if I'm wrong but wont the injectors cutting out only apply if he had lost all traction and was spinning the tires at a VERY high speed (ie flooring it on ice)? He made it sound like he was just driving normal when it happened.
[snapback]75775[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yeah, I didn't go back to original post. Seems kinda screwy to have a major prob w/only a 3.4 on there. Usually most cars can simply slap on a 3.4 and be OK. Clanging around noises happen from only two things really; either a piston is fragged so far that the rod is bouncing around in the bore, or the flexplate is cracked. Pretty impossible to diagnose that before it happens.

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
ok, i forgot to mention as well, before the "blow up" My right side cigarette lighter housing was not working anymore, just out of no where. Fuse??? I dont know if this might have any relation but after the motor went south, i tried hooking up my snapon scanner to the obdII under the dash, and it got no signal at all, it was completely plugged in, but gave no signal. Could that be a fuse or something or what can cause the obdII control to go out?

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
cool thanks for that info, i got the scanner on it and it says cylender four is missfiring 147 times per minute, and #2 about 0-4 times per minute, but thats the only one seeing any problems, later today i will pull plug # 4 (the bitch) and hopefully just see a cracked plug, but if not then i will have to operate......

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info