3800 Crank pulley bolt removal?

I am currently trying to get the crank pulley bolt off of my spare motor to do a cam swap, and I can't get it off. I have already tried air. Is there anything that I can do to keep the engine from turning over while I break the bolt loose?

I believe that I held the flexplate in place last time by sticking a screwdriver in it, but right now I am working with just a longblock that is sitting in my garage.

Any tips would be appreciated.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
not sure if the GPs are the same ... but in the past when I've needed to take the crank bolt off of my Trans Am, I used a big screw driver and pushed it up to stop the flexplate from moving, then took a big breaker bar and broke the bolt loose

I unbolted the starter and where the starter engages, used that to get some leverage

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by twiztid@Mar 16 2005, 02:34 PM
As an update, I just got the bolt off.  I put some rope down in the spark plug hole, and when the piston came up when I was turning the engine over, the rope stopped it so I had some leverage on it.
[snapback]75784[/snapback]​

damn... I didn't even think about that... my dad mentioned this method to me a few weeks ago (only in my case was to keep the valves up during spring changes, but I found a tool to keep the cylinders full of air so didn't need it)

im with Hale on the rope idea... seems good at first but the stress it puts on the head gaskets would not be worth it.

I tried using a 450# impact driver backed by 40# of air and my crank bolt would not budge... some are on just too damn tight.

I used a method similar to what Horist suggested. I took of the flexplate inspection cover and snapped vise grips onto the plate... one on each side of the inspection opening. this kept the engine from rotating. I then used a 5 foot breaker bar (3/4 drive) to break the nut loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info