3800 Misfires

I

imported_GraFFix

How old are the wires? what did you gap the plugs at? Were the tips on the plugs tight? NGK's have those screw in tips that can come loose if there not tight? hopefully thats not the case though you dont want those little electrodes bouncing around on your cylinder head...
Have you scanned the car and found out which cylinder has the misfire?

just one thing to double check cause i was having an issue with slight random misfires...turns out that one of my plug wires wasnt that tight on the plug and would start to slip off over time...they looked ok and felt tight but I would have to push down on the wires all the time once it started to misfire then it would be fine for a week or so...I eventually trimmed the boot down so it would slip further down and it hasnt slipped yet.

BoostInside

Regular
Jan 19, 2009
Originally posted by GraFFix@Mar 11 2005, 12:29 PM
How old are the wires? what did you gap the plugs at? Were the tips on the plugs tight? NGK's have those screw in tips that can come loose if there not tight? hopefully thats not the case though you dont want those little electrodes bouncing around on your cylinder head...

just one thing to double check cause i was having an issue with slight random misfires...turns out that one of my plug wires wasnt that tight on the plug and would start to slip off over time...they looked ok and felt tight but I would have to push down on the wires all the time once it started to misfire then it would be fine for a week or so...I eventually trimmed the boot down so it would slip further down and it hasnt slipped yet.
[snapback]75135[/snapback]​

haven't scanned the car yet, planning to.

Wires are new, plugs are gapped at .06 .. I think, double checked the wires when we did plugs, they are nice and snug.

almost thinking its coil packs or ECU .... anyone have problems with those?

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by BoostInside+Mar 11 2005, 12:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GraFFix
@Mar 11 2005, 12:29 PM

[snapback]75135[/snapback]​

haven't scanned the car yet, planning to.

Wires are new, plugs are gapped at .06 .. I think, double checked the wires when we did plugs, they are nice and snug.

almost thinking its coil packs or ECU .... anyone have problems with those?
[snapback]75146[/snapback]​
[/b]

.060 seems too wide of a gap. I'd try a smaller gap and then test again with more WOT runs. My car is very sensitive to plug gap and will only misfire/hesitate when WOT above 3500rpms if the gap isn't just right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info