3800 I'm torn between two V8's, help me.

Which should I buy?

• 2000 Camaro Z28

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 Mustang GT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
2000 Camaro Z28:
"Patriotic red" a.k.a. burgundy
79k miles @ $9.5k
5.7L (LS1)
automatic
oil leak from main journals
2 month or 2k mile power train waranty
dealer is about 20 minutes away
tan leather seats
slotted and drilled brake rotors, K&N filter, strut bar
1 owner, who took care of the car (engine bay is flawless, so is the engine)

1999 Mustang GT:
Yellow
45k miles @ $9.6k (my tranny broke in my bimmer right after they said they would give $1k for it, so it would have ended up at $8.6k :( )
4.6L (mustang V8, SOHC)
5speed manual transmission
clutch makes a strange hiss
various waranty options I can purchase
dealer is just over an hour away
grey cloth seats
bone stock
2 owners

Both are clean on the outside, RWD, have a nice exhaust note, CD players, Traction control, power everything, remote entry.

My 18 year old bimmer took a dump today, the tranny is completely shot.. I think it could be the output shaft, but I'm not sure. It falls out of gear while driving and when it does that, the lever is hit in the tranny pretty violently until I stop. If I hold it in gear with my hand, it goes fine, but I doubt it would last the rest of the week.

Originally posted by NetChemica@Mar 2 2005, 10:16 PM
2000 Camaro Z28:
"Patriotic red" a.k.a. burgundy
79k miles @ $9.5k
5.7L (LS1)
automatic
oil leak from main journals
2 month or 2k mile power train waranty
dealer is about 20 minutes away
tan leather seats
slotted and drilled brake rotors, K&N filter, strut bar
1 owner, who took care of the car (engine bay is flawless, so is the engine)

1999 Mustang GT:
Yellow
45k miles @ $9.6k (my tranny broke in my bimmer right after they said they would give $1k for it, so it would have ended up at $8.6k  :( )
4.6L (mustang V8, SOHC)
5speed manual transmission
clutch makes a strange hiss
various waranty options I can purchase
dealer is just over an hour away
grey cloth seats
bone stock
2 owners

Both are clean on the outside, RWD, have a nice exhaust note, CD players, Traction control, power everything, remote entry.

My 18 year old bimmer took a dump today, the tranny is completely shot.. I think it could be the output shaft, but I'm not sure.  It falls out of gear while driving and when it does that, the lever is hit in the tranny pretty violently until I stop.  If I hold it in gear with my hand, it goes fine, but I doubt it would last the rest of the week.
[snapback]73649[/snapback]​
how about you just buy a grand prix and stop with the ford crap right now..... haha..... you could get a good GTP with low miles for that price around here if you looked hard enough.... the problem with both of the cars that you listed is that you know they were both ran into the ground and owned by some kids...... so those are both bad bad choices in my book and will spell nothing but trouble down the line....

F

fastcash

drive them both. if you like the feel for actually driving, the shifting, the clutch, the seats, then buy the ford. if you like doing shit while you drive, or d&d then get the camaro (automatic)

oh yeah, look at the years and the miles. obvioulsy the people who owned the camaro drove it hard and long: not even 5 years 96k, and the mustang, one yr older, way less miles.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Originally posted by PaceCarDriva500@Mar 2 2005, 10:52 PM
how about you just buy a grand prix and stop with the ford crap right now..... haha..... you could get a good GTP with low miles for that price around here if you looked hard enough.... the problem with both of the cars that you listed is that you know they were both ran into the ground and owned by some kids...... so those are both bad bad choices in my book and will spell nothing but trouble down the line....
[snapback]73657[/snapback]​

I want something that's RWD with huge aftermarket support. I realize the potential of the 3800, but for some reason I still prefer to have a V8. The Camaro hasn't been run into the ground though, all the records are available and has been really nicely maintained. I've also taken it to a good mechanic who believes that domestics break with any hint of mileage (his garage specializes in Ferrari's, Porsche's, BMW's, and Mercedes'), and even he said that the Camaro is in near-new shape. I tell ya, it's quite a site to see whenever I walk into that garage. Anyway, the Mustang is in good condition too, and anything that might break on the car is just another excuse for me to put in an aftermarket sibling.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Originally posted by fastcash420@Mar 2 2005, 11:00 PM
most of these people here are gm biased so, take that into configuration.

me, i like downshifting, powershifting, and overhead cam action, so i, again, would go Ford
[snapback]73662[/snapback]​

The manual transmission is a big plus in my book, but I live in a pretty small town, so the traffic is all stop and go, which gets quite annoying.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
guess it depends on what you want... a slower car to start that costs more to make fast (99 GT) or a fast car outta the box that there's a HUGE aftermarket for and easy to make fast (LS1)

However, I wouldn't buy a car if it had a known issue (oil leak from main journals) , and 79k is kinda high mileage, depending on how it was driven that 4L60E may be in need of a rebuild soon

I would definetly say go w/aLS1 ... it's simply a better engine than the mustang (even the dohc cobras aren't that impressive compared to the LS1) ... now if it was between an 03 cobra and an LS1 car... as much as I love the LS1 i'd have to say go w/the cobra

Shop around more... there are lots of nice LS1 powered F-Bodies out there... 99-00 had a different cam, LS1 intake and some other things... 01-02 had the LS6 Intake Manifold and the truck cam, but the engines are identical as far as aftermarket, I would stay away from 98 if you plan onmodding it as they are the odd man out for LS1 powered F-Bodies

Thread Info