3800 PCM

Originally posted by fastcash420@Feb 26 2005, 04:14 PM
If i have a pcm that increases my rpm's to 6000, will this be a problem on my rockers/springs/valves, etc.? I kinda need this answer as fast as possible, thank you.
[snapback]73078[/snapback]​
You will be fine on stock everything. Above 6200 is where you will begin to possibly need new springs, and the stock rockers/valves will be fine with 11 second power.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Originally posted by twiztid+Mar 1 2005, 07:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-fastcash420
@Feb 26 2005, 04:14 PM
If i have a pcm that increases my rpm's to 6000, will this be a problem on my rockers/springs/valves, etc.? I kinda need this answer as fast as possible, thank you.
[snapback]73078[/snapback]​
You will be fine on stock everything. Above 6200 is where you will begin to possibly need new springs, and the stock rockers/valves will be fine with 11 second power.
[snapback]73420[/snapback]​
[/b]

This is *NOT* true, for everyone. When 1.9 rockers first came out for the GT cars, there was a rash of "dhp pcm problems". Turned out that alot of cars with rockers and dhp gt pcm's were having issues handlin the 6000 rpm shift. Cause was valve float.

We modified our pcms to shift at 5850 to make sure that people wouldn't have vavle float issues.

Realize that the springs on the heads were not designed with 1.9 rockers in mind. Furthermore, as with every part, there are variances/tolerances. If you have marginal springs on the low end of the tolerance spectrum, it may not survive. I have seen snapped stock valve springs from rockers. It DOES happen.

If you are going to do rockers, I'd probably advise you to swap valve springs as well. Its not a ton of money and its good peace of mind.

F

fastcash

once and a while i hit wot the shift at 6000 rpms sounds like it is slipping, or misfiring...you know that sound? its like (bare with me here) vtttt, vttttt, vtttt, then it shifts. it is the sound of the supercharger (obviously the audible part) but you can tell it is either valve float or tranny prblems. any input?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
To touch on what Charles said. It also depends on what rocker you go with. The older 1.9 modified stock rockers generally require no upgrade in springs even with raised shift points however the newer rockers almost always require an upgrade. At any rate if you want to do it once and do it right make sure you're upgrading the valve springs.

F

fastcash

i have the intense pcm standard. it shifts at 6k rpms, with the perf shift on. but every once and a while, it goes vttt, vttt, vttt at 6k like tranny slipping/not catching, or valve float

Originally posted by GTPPWR@Mar 1 2005, 02:42 PM
wut does yoyr car shift at??? everyones cars???  Mine goes past redline on the tach. I have had no problems wut so ever
[snapback]73455[/snapback]​

F

fastcash

i thought of that, and it is happening at 61-6200rpm's, but wouldnt the 6200rpm bump on the intense standard pcm be sufficient enough to avoid that? why would my trans not shift at 6200 instead of 6000, causing the rev limiter to ensue? i don't think cars should even have a rev limiter. well, my cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info