3800 Wallet is taking a beating

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I'm pretty fed up with only getting about 12-14mpg, drive it easy or drive it hard and I get the same mileage. My mom, who drove the car and doesnt go over 3krpm let alone tip in the throttle enough to get any boost, even said the car netted her horrendous gas mileage on a little shopping trip she did.

I have one of those Scantron things like they have at Autozone (got it for a HELL of a deal and its a 270 dollar one), but it has got nothing on the logging ones. I hooked it up and was viewing the data. I saw while driving, well idling for sure, that my LTFTs were would usually vary between -4 to -10, and anywhere in between. I revved it once in park, and the LTFTs went to about -7. I know I need to change the PVC valve, and probably the o2 sensor (which I have on me) but it throws no codes. What could be causing this?

I put the stock PCM back in for the hell of it and seemed to get better throttle response (maybe it was in my head?) I also thought I was getting more timing advance on the stocker then on the Intense, but I cant read this scanner and floor it safely at the same time. I also thought the LTFTs went down (-2) from what I half arsed noted, but it may have been a coincidence. Maybe it was because its not programmed to run a bit rich like the Intense pcm, and since the car is already running rich (from whatever is causing the LTFTs to be high) the Intense pcm is making it run even more rich?

AH this is confusing...

HELP! :lol:

sgtp

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
thats just city driving for you....also theres a big difference in gas consumption between driving around town in the burbs, and driving around town on chicago streets.

I used to get 25+ mpg when I commuted to chicago from the burbs with maybe 65% of it hiway miles. I sometimes was able to get 350 miles on one tank. Now that I live in chicago I see anywhere from 13-16 mpg and 200 miles to a tank if Im only driving around chicago streets. That really sucks I know.......

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Just do a basic tune up.

ALso clean your injectors .
chang out your fuel filter.
check air filter
change out plugs
change out pcv
and switch to mobil 1 synthetic

Check tire pressure.

By doing this you should be able to improve mileage.

Also how many miles on the car?
Higher mileage cars will suffer in gas mileage also.. Just the way of older cars.

starrGTP

Regular
Mar 15, 2008
I get the same gas mileage (12-14mgp). This jsut started happening after I got back from the academy(december). Before that I was getting 23-27mpg. The only difference in my car now is the ported front manifold. I thought it was the intense PCM so I took that out. Changed the cat to high flow. Changed plug wires and spark plugs. Still the same thing. I think it is an exhaust leak at the front manifold.

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by alexgtp@Feb 24 2005, 07:50 AM
Just do a basic tune up.

ALso clean your injectors .
chang out your fuel filter.
check air filter
change out plugs
change out pcv
and switch to mobil 1 synthetic

Check tire pressure.

By doing this you should be able to improve mileage.

Also how many miles on the car?
Higher mileage cars will suffer in gas mileage also.. Just the way of older cars.
[snapback]72739[/snapback]​

Try some Techron Fuel injection cleaner thats the Sh@!. I immediately seen some better fuel mileage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info