3800 Is This Too High $$$$ for repairs

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Yesterday I had my car service for corroded positive cable which had stalled my Car. Anyway I get a call from the Dealership and they said that my Car needs a lower Intake and Supercharger Gasket and they could do it for $748.00 :eek:. I told them nope dont worry about It I'll pick it up later. Now my question is can I get this done somewhere else or what are my Alternatives.

Lee

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Lower intake gasket is around $50, and they usually don't go bad. SC gasket is about $8. If you get the parts, I can do it pretty cheap. A dealership will charge a lot for labor. It's not a hard job to do, but a lot has to come off to get to it, so it's fairly time consuming. There are other things involved, so you need more than those two things, but it's mostly incedental amounts.
So, this is what you'll probably need:
LIM gasket $50
SC gasket $8
PCV valve $4
Coolant elbow $15
Oil change and filter $price depends on what you use
Top off coolant $5.00?

As far as me doing it, you'd need to drop it off. It may take several hours to do if I run into anything (and you remember what can happen even with a simple job: AKA Wheel bearing replacement). I'd estimate about a 2 hour job normally.

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Hey Ron Thanks, and thats cool because you are in the area I will start getting the Parts soon and I'll talk to you about what your schedule looks like. Yeah That wheel bearing turn out to be a PITA. I dont know if the other one went bad but that freaking (ABS) and Trac off light came on again. :angry:

Lee

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If it's any consolation, I don't think our hubs like the extra weight of aftermarket wheels, or increased over stock HP. I've had 2 go out; the last one was about a year and a half ago, and I think the first one I replaced is starting to fail. Mine could also be that I need to fix my lower control arms from shaking during hard acceleration, it may be tearing up the hubs.

Anyway, yeah just let me know.

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Feb 22 2005, 09:41 AM
If it's any consolation, I don't think our hubs like the extra weight of aftermarket wheels, or increased over stock HP. I've had 2 go out; the last one was about a year and a half ago, and I think the first one I replaced is starting to fail. Mine could also be that I need to fix my lower control arms from shaking during hard acceleration, it may be tearing up the hubs.

Anyway, yeah just let me know.
[snapback]72429[/snapback]​

I dont think its the wheels because when i had my wheels on i never had the abs light come up. Now that i have the stockers on it came on so it might be the increase of HP? Who knows but i need to get them fixed as well, along with my HVAC

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Last year I had to replace my blower fan, same kind of dealio. It started squeaking, then it only worked on high, then it only worked on high taking left turns really fast. Definately call around for that one...I got it from some place off Ogden that I don't remember the name of the place, but it was just under $80 for it. Everyplace had their own price, sometimes as high as $150.

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by Theautoguy@Feb 22 2005, 07:48 PM
Lee,

I don't know what car you have but if it's a 2000-2003 GT, this may help. Print it out and take it in to the dealership. This letter got the same repair to a co-worker's car done for free. The dealer may not know about this but they certainly can check it out and validate it.

http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/PONTIAC.JPG

I hope it helps...

Don
[snapback]72525[/snapback]​

Hey Don Thanks good info, but yeah its a 1999 GTP

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Feb 22 2005, 07:29 PM
Mybluegtp - that sounds electrical to me.  You may be able to take it apart clean it up wiggle some wires and have her up and running like new again.
[snapback]72519[/snapback]​

Or the fan shaft or brushes are worn. Excessive tolerences. You may need to R&R you fan. Check the wiring first.

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by rob+Feb 23 2005, 11:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-98 TGP TOY
@Feb 22 2005, 07:29 PM
Mybluegtp - that sounds electrical to me.  You may be able to take it apart clean it up wiggle some wires and have her up and running like new again.
[snapback]72519[/snapback]​

Or the fan shaft or brushes are worn. Excessive tolerences. You may need to R&R you fan. Check the wiring first.
[snapback]72592[/snapback]​
[/b]

:blink:

:lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info