3800 Ls6 Cam Install in My Trans Am........

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by Fish@Feb 15 2005, 11:30 PM
Im not sure. We would have to hear from him. I would think a cam install for the T/A would be easier since its in the front of the motor instead of the side like our GPs. Then again, theres no wheel well to get the cam out of.
[snapback]71523[/snapback]​

its easier on ours from what i've been told.

cuz u hafta drop the subframe and angle the motor or whatever and then you barely have enough room to get the cam in and out.

also i was told with the fbodies when pulling the motor out of the vehicle the motor cant come out the top it has to come out the bottom and you basically raise the body up off of it, is this correct?

and rob what else does it take to upgrade an ls1 to ls6? isnt it just the heads and cam package? i'm just curious.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
From what I have read, its heads and cam for the LS6 conversion.

Id also do the lifters, springs and such while the engine is being worked on. I have talked to horist about it though. He said that for the money, get a different cam instead of the LS6.

I

itlnrob

[/quote]

and rob what else does it take to upgrade an ls1 to ls6? isnt it just the heads and cam package? i'm just curious.
[snapback]71525[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I also believe it is a different throttle body.

The reason I am going with the ls6 cam is because I extended my factory warranty and can replace my cam with any gm part.

I was thinking about the GM Hot Cam, however that is too big for my driving habits.

The ls6 Cam will be suttle, but yet get good gains, and very streetable.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
[/quote]

can replace my cam with any gm part.

[snapback]71529[/snapback]​
[/quote]

like a water pump or stb? :p j/k

but yeah i'd say if u drive it alot that would be a pretty streetable cam considering in the z06s it doesnt sound overboard at all. And if u can get 55 hp outta that cam+ heads and tb i'd say do it for sure.

I

itlnrob

can replace my cam with any gm part.

[snapback]71529[/snapback]​
[/quote]

like a water pump or stb? :p j/k

but yeah i'd say if u drive it alot that would be a pretty streetable cam considering in the z06s it doesnt sound overboard at all. And if u can get 55 hp outta that cam+ heads and tb i'd say do it for sure.
[snapback]71531[/snapback]​
[/quote]

heads are way too much cash!!!!!!! I'm just doin small stuff to it. We'll i've basically done all the small stuff.

If i can find a reasonable price for a cam install i'll do it, if not i may hold off till next year.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I would reccommend Speed Inc... they are the fairest F-Body install pricing around...

for cheapest install... do it yourself ... it's not that hard (I did heads/cam/headers/oil pump/intake/ myself the first time in 03)

http://www.ls1howto.com/
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

IMHO though... an LS6 cam w/out heads is like buying a GTP w/out a supercharger ... though an LS6 cam in an LS1 is a pretty pointless investment ..... 5rwhp maybe?

but.... ls6 is much better than LS1 right??? :) :p

itlnrob : lemme know when you wanna go fast :)

so what did speed want ??

Originally posted by horist@Feb 16 2005, 12:10 AM
I would reccommend Speed Inc...  they are the fairest F-Body install pricing around...

for cheapest install... do it yourself ...  it's not that hard  (I did heads/cam/headers/oil pump/intake/ myself the first time in 03)

IMHO though...  an LS6 cam w/out heads is like buying a GTP w/out a supercharger ...  though an LS6 cam in an LS1 is a pretty pointless investment .....  5rwhp maybe?     

but....  ls6 is much better than LS1 right???  :) :p 

itlnrob :    lemme know when you wanna go fast :)

[snapback]71533[/snapback]​

and if you dont want to go to speed got to FLP..... www.flp2win.com

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by SweetGTP99@Feb 16 2005, 12:19 AM
and if you dont want to go to speed got to FLP..... www.flp2win.com
[snapback]71535[/snapback]​

good point ... FLP is good too... but they are about the same costs as Speed Inc...

A cam install and springs isn't hard... but it's a matter of the installer warrantee .... Speed (or FLP) will guarantee what they do .....

I could do a cam install in about 3 hours tops ... springs maybe an extra hour (I'm installing new springs in car my myself in a few weeks after I yank my transmission) ...

always cheaper if you do the work yourself... but if you don't know how... you pay for the experience of those that do know how

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by horist@Feb 16 2005, 12:10 AM
I would reccommend Speed Inc...  they are the fairest F-Body install pricing around...

for cheapest install... do it yourself ...  it's not that hard  (I did heads/cam/headers/oil pump/intake/ myself the first time in 03)

IMHO though...  an LS6 cam w/out heads is like buying a GTP w/out a supercharger ...  though an LS6 cam in an LS1 is a pretty pointless investment .....  5rwhp maybe?     

but....  ls6 is much better than LS1 right???  :) :p 

650 for install

U wanna attempt the install on mine lol...........

i was checking out the heads and they are around 600 bucks from gmpartsdirect.

Thats not bad figuring the cam is only 200

But install is the key factor.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by itlnrob+Feb 16 2005, 12:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Feb 16 2005, 12:10 AM
I would reccommend Speed Inc...   they are the fairest F-Body install pricing around...

for cheapest install... do it yourself ...   it's not that hard   (I did heads/cam/headers/oil pump/intake/ myself the first time in 03)

IMHO though...   an LS6 cam w/out heads is like buying a GTP w/out a supercharger ...   though an LS6 cam in an LS1 is a pretty pointless investment .....  5rwhp maybe?     

but....   ls6 is much better than LS1 right???   :) :p  

650 for install

U wanna attempt the install on mine lol...........

i was checking out the heads and they are around 600 bucks from gmpartsdirect.

Thats not bad figuring the cam is only 200

But install is the key factor.
[snapback]71538[/snapback]​
[/b]

nope... I only work on my own car ... so I don't want to install yours ... (I've installed 2 cams in my car, a set of heads, and more .... I'll work on my own car but don't want to work on anyone elses ... and will not provide any warranty for any work I do unless it's on my own car)

and 600 dollar heads... go ahead and get them LOL ...

the fact that your cam cost 200 means nothing for install.....

you do realize how minimal LS6 parts are compared to LS1 parts right?

an LS6 cam is not even as much of an upgrade as an LS1 hotcam .....

so is a hypertech and IAT chip next on your upgrade plan? :) :D

sorry.. but doesn't seem you spent much time learning what will add power.. rather you figured an LS6 (Z06) makes more power than an LS1 and chose parts based on that...

I

itlnrob

horrist.........

not trying to knock u any.........

but the ls6 cam has added up to 30hp by itself on regular ls1's with minor mods.......

The mods I have.......

Hooker Cat back
SLP lid
Granatelli MAF
SLP Bellow

The Mods i want for spring......
Nitto's
Cam
Predator Handheld

Money is an issue, and since i barley drive the car i don't wanna put that much cash into it for labor. It only has 11k miles and its an 01.

Call me cheap, but i just turned 20 work full time and go to school full time so i have it rough at the moment.

I

itlnrob

251436_24_full.jpg

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by itlnrob@Feb 16 2005, 12:41 AM
horrist.........

not trying to knock u any.........

but the ls6 cam has added up to 30hp by itself on regular ls1's with minor mods.......

The mods I have.......

Hooker Cat back
SLP lid
Granatelli MAF
SLP Bellow

The Mods i want for spring......
Nitto's
Cam
Predator Handheld

Money is an issue, and since i barley drive the car i don't wanna put that much cash into it for labor.  It only has 11k miles and its an 01.

Call me cheap, but i just turned 20 work full time and go to school full time so i have it rough at the moment.
[snapback]71540[/snapback]​

and IAT Performance chips add up to 20hp!!!!

I won't offer any advice since you don't want it.... do what you want...

LS6 Cam: Mistake
GMS MAF: MIstake
Predator: If you buy it... mistake
SLP Bellow: Mistake

but the magazines and show on spike TV said it's good!!!

Do what you want... believe what you want ... don't research on ls1tech.com .... find the cheapest place to install your parts ......

I really don't care :) I have my own problems just trying to offer advice

Good Luck!

Damn.. you postd a dyno chart... EVERY car must behave like that! you're right I'm wrong Let us know what you dyno and where when your Predator, GMS MAF, SLP Bellow and LS6 cam are installed :)

Oh and Firehawks and SS Camaros are WAY faster than regular Z28s and Trans Ams :) :lolsign:

I'm prolly talkin outta my ass for all the above though ... so good luck .... I'll be postin about some F-Body race days on this board ... hope you show B)

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by horist@Feb 16 2005, 12:47 AM

and IAT Performance chips add up to 20hp!!!!

I won't offer any advice since you don't want it....  do what you want...   

LS6 Cam: Mistake
GMS MAF: MIstake
Predator: If you buy it... mistake
SLP Bellow: Mistake

but the magazines and show on spike TV said it's good!!!

Do what you want... believe what you want ...  don't research on ls1tech.com  .... find the cheapest place to install your parts ......

I really don't care :)  I have my own problems just trying to offer advice 

Good Luck!

Damn.. you postd a dyno chart... EVERY car must behave like that!  you're right I'm wrong :)  Let us know what you dyno and where when your Predator, GMS MAF, SLP Bellow and LS6 cam are installed :)
[snapback]71542[/snapback]​

IAT sensor = 20hp??????

Ummmmmmmm No........nice try.

And lets see all my mods are mistakes huh?

Do me a favor guy who can't take any friendly critism, get a life man. I came here asking for help and you are bashing me thinkin your knowledge on Ls1's is far greater than mine.

I've done my share of researching and frankly don't give a rats ass what you think.

Its my car, my money, and my time so i'll do as I please.

thanks for being a dick.

have a good nite.

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by horist@Feb 16 2005, 12:47 AM
Oh and Firehawks and SS Camaros are WAY faster than regular Z28s and Trans Ams :)    :lolsign:

I'm prolly talkin outta my ass for all the above though ...   so good luck ....      I'll be postin about some F-Body race days  on this board ... hope you show  B)
[snapback]71542[/snapback]​

Nice edit............

98-00 Slower Factory Ls1 F-body's

01-02 Fastest Factory Ls1 F-Body's w/ ls6 Intake Manny

Firehawk/Ws6 and SS/SLP SS aren't that much faster if any from regular z's and TA's......

Suspension, exhaust, and gearing is basically the only difference minus the not so useful ram air.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by itlnrob@Feb 16 2005, 12:53 AM
IAT sensor = 20hp??????

Ummmmmmmm No........nice try.
was a joke
And lets see all my mods are mistakes huh?
well not a mistake to you... but you'll see

Do me a favor guy who can't take any friendly critism, get a life man.  I came here asking for help and you are bashing me thinkin your knowledge on Ls1's is far greater than mine. 
you wanted to know the cheapest place to have work done... I let you know that cheap is not always good and that speed inc will do a good job... also that your selection of parts wasn't a very good selection

I've done my share of researching and frankly don't give a rats ass what you think.
apparently not enough

Its my car, my money, and my time so i'll do as I please.
indeed... good luck with it... reinforces my point that you don't want advice

thanks for being a dick.
you're welcome ...   

have a good nite.
  I will :)  I'm Laughing my ass off now :)

[snapback]71543[/snapback]​

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by itlnrob@Feb 16 2005, 12:56 AM
Nice edit............

98-00 Slower Factory Ls1 F-body's

01-02 Fastest Factory Ls1 F-Body's w/ ls6 Intake Manny

Firehawk/Ws6 and SS/SLP SS aren't that much faster if any from regular z's and TA's......

Suspension, exhaust, and gearing is basically the only difference minus the not so useful ram air.
[snapback]71544[/snapback]​

01-02 on average aren't any faster than 98-00 ... the Ls6 Intake manifold helped but the truck cam hurt ... the improved HP rating of the 01-02 was superficial

the WS6/SS aren't any faster than a base TA or Z28 ... the Z28 and Formula are the fastest since they're hte lightest

Gearing is different between the types ... WS6 and Firehawk are 3.23, Z28 is 2.73, Trans Am is 2.73, SS is 3.23 (these are all for Autos) ... all manuals are 3.42

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by itlnrob@Feb 16 2005, 01:01 AM
B) you are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool man.

You definetly need to get laid.

Your so called jokes were HORrible and I only answered them to show u how stupid they were.

F-off
[snapback]71546[/snapback]​

sorry if you're so pissed off about my post ... good luck w/your setup .. let us all know what you dyno and where

My invite to an MFBA track rental stands (for you and for all ILGPC members)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info