3800 Any ideas on how a stock suspension GP will behave

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I'm thinking of racing at Road America this year (MFBA has it rented out, $350 to run for 2 days) but not sure of a few things

I know an auto car isn't ideal for road racing to start... but i'm more concerned w/how a FWD car would behave...

I've never done road racing before much less in a FWD car...

I know the Comp G package is supposed to up my suspension a little... but anyone have any ideas on how GPs handle around sharp turns or FWD cars in general?

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Mike-

I would think that you could give your GP a run for its money with no probelms. I mean if you ever really watch what people in "Car and Driver" and actual GM facilities do to these vehicles I would imagine it could handle this road course you are talking about. I do not know the severity of the setup they are going to have there, but I do know these cars are pushed pretty hard and it should be a fun drive for ya!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ive never done a road course, but Ive messed around on windy roads late at night before. My stock suspension did pretty well I though. Im sure with the Comp G package, you should do fine. Also the tap shift might help as well.

If in doubt, get some buick STBs. If you argue at the dealer, they will give them to you for 8 bucks each. IIRC, your car had the holes pre drilled on the strut tower for them.

F

fastcash

the thing about road racing is that you want to make sure you are ulimately secure in your seat you don't want to be flopping around when you are trying to make sharp, fasst turns. i have constanly pushed my 98 to the limit and have yet to be disappointed. remember, even tho it is automatic, you can still downshift in emergencies or if your brakes can't handle it. i do it, and it works, just keep it in 3rd so you just have to tap down to second ;)

have fun

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
GTP with stock suspension handles like a boat. At the ones I have owned. Sharp turns? Forgetaboutit. Now put in RAT sway bars, STB, and proper lowering springs and it will be more prepared for a road course. OH, and of course, good tires. Oh, and dont forget about your brake setup.

J.E.T.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by GTPPWR@Feb 16 2005, 01:41 PM
understeer, and lots of brake fade
[snapback]71642[/snapback]​

VERY true........and remember just cuz it's FWD doesn't mean you can't throttle steer it. The suspension will load/unload pretty much the same as a RWD'er but will understeer way more than oversteer.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Feb 16 2005, 01:41 PM
understeer, and lots of brake fade
[snapback]71642[/snapback]​

This is where I was going to go.

You wont be able to puch the GP too hard through out the ENTIRE course. You will need to choose your turns appropriately. the brakes will fade out quickly.

Find a safe place to do a 100-0 stop. Then do it again. Then again. Each time you do it your distance will grow, and dramatically.

Now imagine that you are headed towards turn one at road america. You come out of a fast straight away (should EASILY be able to hit 100+ by the end of the straight away) into a progressively decreasing radius turn one. Come into it too fast and you skid out into the gravel. Too slow and you drive the guy behind you nuts.

I would be much more worried about brake fade than understeer. you can get out of understeer by backing off the throttle a little. You cant get past brakes if they arent stopping you.

Someone mentioned using tap shift. Should save your brakes some work. Keeping the car in third at the highest gear is a good idea. Gives you a quick button push to burn off 20 mph as you come into a turn.

Should be an interesting time. I have wanted to race up there since I first saw the track. Wish I had a car to run. Have fun.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info