3800 ISP Providers/Cable Service

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Well since the AOL DSL bill is pretty outrageous ($56 a month - $23 AOL/$33 DSL). My dad has been wanting to find something that is cheaper, but not lose DSL speed. I've so far looked at info on

Comcast - Offer for its current cable customers, $29.99 a month for 3 months, for their highspeed Cable service. Speed is 3mb/284?, $10 more for 4mb/384. I think installation is free modem is either supply one or lease theirs.

SBC Yahoo - $37 for their pro package a month which is "up to 3mbps" aswell as free modem and activation.

Anyone have any other companies that are worth looking at? These I thought of off the top of my head.

Also anyone with Comcast Cable, we are somewhat in the market for a HDTV Projection screen. Were looking at a Toshiba 57" for $1800 right now at Best Buy as we only have about $2000 ish to play with, so we want a sound system too. Yamaha? anyways Comcast has an option for HDTV cable box ($5 a month more). Worth it if we were to get the bigscreen? or should we skip Comcast and look at something like WoW!? I think our Cable bill isnt all that cheap and we only have one Digital Box and that thing is maybe 2 years old and takes about 10 seconds to change the channel. I know its the box because my grandmother has a new box and its just like changing the channel on a regular tv.

Whew sorry its so long... next thread to come... car insurance :rolleyes:

-Nick

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
if you can get cable then it'll be the best bang for the buck... at least for internet... (unless you live in an area that the cable network is WAY oversaturated... but w/the rate they're increasing bandwidth... doesn't seem to be as much of a problem anymore w/too many people on at the same time)

Call SBC to make sure you're close enough to the Central Office to get those high speeds too...

In my case Cable isn't available around here, and i'm about 18,000 feet from my CO so SBC/Yahoo wouldn't give me anything faster than 384kbps/128kbps (even though I had 768/128 for 3 years prior on a dedicated unbundled loop)

I went to covad.net and am now getting 1500/384 DSL speed ... over the same copper that SBC uses, my deal is 70/month but I wanted a Static IP Address and a few other add-ons

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SaturdaysGS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list