3800 How hard is it to install a new CV Driveshaft?

I ran into a problem. The front end would make a thumping/clicking noise when I get the car up to 65mph or higher. The noise would get worst when I get the car up to 65 mph and gently turn the wheel toward the left, then when I turn the wheel toward the right, it stops!! Today, I got fed up and jacked the car up and did a visual test and lookie what I found on the driver side

DSC01679.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

yup, good ole SNOT or CV fluid all over the place. So, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and ordered one for $129 and a $40 refund when I bring the core back. Oh yeah, I have a 2002 Grand Prix and I had to get a 2000 CV shaft(they are the same), ok, the guy said it should only take me about 2 hours to install, so, if anybody out there ever did this, could you throw me some pointers..

Thanks

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by DaSmurfy@Jan 30 2005, 07:46 PM
I ran into a problem. The front end would make a thumping/clicking noise when I get the car up to 65mph or higher. The noise would get worst when I get the car up to 65 mph and gently turn the wheel toward the left, then when I turn the wheel toward the right, it stops!! Today, I got fed up and jacked the car up and did a visual test and lookie what I found on the driver side

DSC01679.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

yup, good ole SNOT or CV fluid all over the place. So, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and ordered one for $129 and a $40 refund when I bring the core back. Oh yeah, I have a 2002 Grand Prix and I had to get a 2000 CV shaft(they are the same), ok, the guy said it should only take me about 2 hours to install, so, if anybody out there ever did this, could you throw me some pointers..

Thanks
[snapback]69582[/snapback]​

yeah its very easy when you get it unbolted from the hub just use a pry bar or a hammer and gently pry on the axle against the trans. it will pop right out without any effort :)

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
The hardest part is getting everything off to get to it... If you have access to air tools, it will be much easier. The nut on the end of the shaft is a big mofo, with air tools it comes off a little quicker. I borrowed the cv puller from autozone, makes things so much easier. If you want to stop by the house, I can help you with it...

Randy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• D
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list