3800 Advice for Rotor Swapping Newbs!!!

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well I had upgraded to new rotors last year, without any problems. Then recently i had the rotor off for some work, and put everything back together. A week later one of the Brake Bracket Bolts fell out during driving. If your bottom one falls out, it allows your brake bracket to slide clockwise, and will lock up your tire when going in reverse. If your top one falls out it will slide counter clockwise and lock up your tire when moving forward. If you are moving with any speed when the bolt falls out, it will clean off a nice patch of aluminum on the inside of your wheel.

You MUST put threadlocker on the bolts when replacing them, or buy brand new bolts from GM ($30 per bolt at a dealer, $10 of gmpartsdirect). The GM ones come with threadlocker on the threads.

I was given a general guide to doing the procedure, and was not warned of this before. Also, being a newb at brakes, I had no prior knowledge of this.

Luckily for me, my tire locked up on my street, 2 houses from mine. So I had to let the car sit there for a week, and then on this glorious 25* day (13* windchill) i was in the middle of the street working on my car for 30 minutes.

Enjoy :(

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Jan 21 2005, 03:23 PM
Well I had upgraded to new rotors last year, without any problems.  Then recently i had the rotor off for some work, and put everything back together.  A week later one of the Brake Bracket Bolts fell out during driving.  If your bottom one falls out, it allows your brake bracket to slide clockwise, and will lock up your tire when going in reverse.  If your top one falls out it will slide counter clockwise and lock up your tire when moving forward.  If you are moving with any speed when the bolt falls out, it will clean off a nice patch of aluminum on the inside of your wheel. 

You MUST put threadlocker on the bolts when replacing them, or buy brand new bolts from GM ($30 per bolt at a dealer, $10 of gmpartsdirect).  The GM ones come with threadlocker on the threads.

I was given a general guide to doing the procedure, and was not warned of this before.  Also, being a newb at brakes, I had no prior knowledge of this. 

Luckily for me, my tire locked up on my street, 2 houses from mine.  So I had to let the car sit there for a week, and then on this glorious 25* day (13* windchill) i was in the middle of the street working on my car for 30 minutes. 

Enjoy :(
[snapback]68410[/snapback]​
That sounds less than fun! :(

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
No really it wasnt to bad, because luckily with the bracket swung it scrapped up an even portion all the way around the inside of the wheel. So it didnt through the balance off at all, and I am probably a couple ounces lighter now :unsure:

Just hoping it doesnt happen to anyone else. Now its time for my top secret fuel management system install :ph34r:

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I understand ths may not be a problem with every car. But the way my bolts tighten, this is definitely the solution. My bolts will hand tighten in extremely easy until they are all the way in. So after I tighten them, I drove for a week, and it broke one loose and vibrated the rest of the way out.

Also, the GM ones come with threadlock for a reason. I drove a year without a problem, Im just warning people that this could happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info