3800 Any UTI students in the club!?

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
graduated. im in volvos program right now- 8 weeks left.

i drive my prizm every day and will drive my SS on nicer days.

Uti is a big waste of money, if you dont get accepted to a graduate program you arnt going to learn shit and wont make decent money for a LONG LONG time. most places wont even hire you.
all they teach you is bullcrap that noone needs to know, whats inside an abs module, what materials everything is made of, and other useless trivia.

and i really hope they didnt sell you into taking their diesel program- and if they did DROP IT BEFORE YOU START IT and get your money back. their diesel program is a bigger crock of shit than the school itself. "cars are going diesel its the way of the future" is what they sell you on, then you get to the classes and work on stricktly truck diesel and no diesel automotive and you work on shit on a bench, never on live vehicles in the d pad.

but on the plus side any graduate program you do get into will teach you more in a week than you learned the entire way through UTI. you work on live cars, recent cars, 80% in lab hands on. 10-16 people per class. highback leather chairs in the classrooms and free lunch on fridays.
95% attendance and a 3.5 gpa are the advertised MINIMUM to get into one, and with those you wont get accepted. 98% and 3.8 is a good minimum goal.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by xttc2000@Jan 13 2005, 05:17 PM
graduated. im in volvos program right now- 8 weeks left.

i drive my prizm every day and will drive my SS on nicer days.

Uti is a big waste of money, if you dont get accepted to a graduate program you arnt going to learn shit and wont make decent money for a LONG LONG time. most places wont even hire you.
all they teach you is bullcrap that noone needs to know, whats inside an abs module, what materials everything is made of, and other useless trivia.

and i really hope they didnt sell you into taking their diesel program- and if they did DROP IT BEFORE YOU START IT and get your money back. their diesel program is a bigger crock of shit than the school itself. "cars are going diesel its the way of the future" is what they sell you on, then you get to the classes and work on stricktly truck diesel and no diesel automotive and you work on shit on a bench, never on live vehicles in the d pad.

but on the plus side any graduate program you do get into will teach you more in a week than you learned the entire way through UTI. you work on live cars, recent cars, 80% in lab hands on. 10-16 people per class. highback leather chairs in the classrooms and free lunch on fridays.
95% attendance and a 3.5 gpa are the advertised MINIMUM to get into one, and with those you wont get accepted. 98% and 3.8 is a good minimum goal.
[snapback]67503[/snapback]​

i've been considering UTI recently. would you recommend a different school? i just dont wanna go there and waste money on bs.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Go to Triton Community College. You will graduate with an associates degree (more than what uti offers), and will come out with much less debt. I think its only about $5k/yr including everything.

If you're looking for a university style program, Illinois State is #5 in the country, and Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI is a great school for automotive engineering/R&D style stuff. ISU and FSU both graduate with bachelors.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
yes you need to be willing to relocate. but the material you are taught is all outdated useless garbage. youll learn more in the field in a week than all year there.

ive heard good things about triton- being that they work with GM and set you up with an apprenticeship while in school (if thats true)

UTI is nothing but a big money making machine that lies about their entire program and everything about their school. They advertise it as like 50% lab time, its more like 10-15% total lab time you dont get a $1500 tool voucher at the end, you get 500 including shipping and tax. Nothing bad happened to me there, im not hating on the school out of spite for something i was wronged for. i just feel that my money was not well spent. If you are completely oblivious to the fact that cars exist in the world you may learn enough to make it worth it, otherwise its a waste.

I did put effort in, i got into a grad program. finished with damn near a 4.0 and 100% attendance. but without the graduate program it would have all been a waste. the typical UTI graduate is in my opinion not qualified to work at a jiffy lube.
if you go to UTI out of illinois you actually do get an associates, every other campus does it. Ferris and u of phoenix online accept credits from UTI so if you want to go the mech eng or auto eng bachelors route you can do that.
Strive to get into a grad program if you go there, they're free- and make all the BS well worth it.

i know carmax does aprenticeships, they will set you up with a mentor and actually have classes they send you too- that might be something else for you to look into kyle.
Take some electrical and diagnostic classes at COD, something to familiarise you with sensors and what type of signals they put out and what they do on a car. learn how circuits work, power distribution- theories of series and parallel circuits. ***how to read wiring diagrams***.

once you have that down the rest is common sense.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
I agree 100%. Graduated 2 years ago and think it was a huge waste of money.

:angry:

Originally posted by xttc2000@Jan 13 2005, 09:49 PM
yes you need to be willing to relocate. but the material you are taught is all outdated useless garbage. youll learn more in the field in a week than all year there.

ive heard good things about triton- being that they work with GM and set you up with an apprenticeship while in school (if thats true)

UTI is nothing but a big money making machine that lies about their entire program and everything about their school. They advertise it as like 50% lab time, its more like 10-15% total lab time you dont get a $1500 tool voucher at the end, you get 500 including shipping and tax. Nothing bad happened to me there, im not hating on the school out of spite for something i was wronged for. i just feel that my money was not well spent. If you are completely oblivious to the fact that cars exist in the world you may learn enough to make it worth it, otherwise its a waste.

I did put effort in, i got into a grad program. finished with damn near a 4.0 and 100% attendance. but without the graduate program it would have all been a waste. the typical UTI graduate is in my opinion not qualified to work at a jiffy lube.
if you go to UTI out of illinois you actually do get an associates, every other campus does it. Ferris and u of phoenix online accept credits from UTI so if you want to go the mech eng or auto eng bachelors route you can do that.
Strive to get into a grad program if you go there, they're free- and make all the BS well worth it.

i know carmax does aprenticeships, they will set you up with a mentor and actually have classes they send you too- that might be something else for you to look into kyle.
Take some electrical and diagnostic classes at COD, something to familiarise you with sensors and what type of signals they put out and what they do on a car. learn how circuits work, power distribution- theories of series and parallel  circuits. ***how to read wiring diagrams***.

[snapback]67550[/snapback]​

2000gtp

Regular
Feb 17, 2008
Omaha,NE
Originally posted by shaferz+Jan 14 2005, 09:11 PM-->
I agree 100%.  Graduated 2 years ago and think it was a huge waste of money.

<!--QuoteBegin-xttc2000
@Jan 13 2005, 09:49 PM

Take some electrical and diagnostic classes at COD, something to familiarise you with sensors and what type of signals they put out and what they do on a car. learn how circuits work, power distribution- theories of series and parallel  circuits. ***how to read wiring diagrams***.

[snapback]67665[/snapback]​
[/b]

im currently enrolled in uti and yeah some of course studies are old and out dated but you can still learn some things....as for triton i have a friend that goes there he started in june i began uti in july and he has no more understanding of automotive repair than when he started... he calls me to work on his car because he doesnt know how....

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
I guess its because of the fact that I already knew a bit about cars, and A LOT about electronics before i went to the school that pissed me off. I felt that I did not learn enough considering I spent over $20,000 to go there.

There are lots of neat classes though. Street Legal Performance class was pretty damn cool. My groups first car was the black Z28 with the paxton. :D

Is that car even there anymore?

I dyno'd my old Turbo Grand Prix there , and pulled over 300 ft. lbs. of torque! :D

Originally posted by 2000gtp+Jan 19 2005, 02:47 PM-->
Originally posted by shaferz@Jan 14 2005, 09:11 PM
I agree 100%.  Graduated 2 years ago and think it was a huge waste of money.

<!--QuoteBegin-xttc2000
@Jan 13 2005, 09:49 PM

[snapback]67665[/snapback]​

im currently enrolled in uti and yeah some of course studies are old and out dated but you can still learn some things....as for triton i have a friend that goes there he started in june i began uti in july and he has no more understanding of automotive repair than when he started... he calls me to work on his car because he doesnt know how....
[snapback]68132[/snapback]​
[/b]

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by JNGTP94@Jan 13 2005, 09:02 AM
Hey,

I just started at UTI on monday and i was wondering if we have any other members that are students there in the club??  Ive seen a few GPs there with tint a couple with wheels and one with a nice sounding exhaust. anyone?

-Jason-
[snapback]67420[/snapback]​

AAAHH crap. I was just about to enroll in UTI. Now I am going to look at Triton

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info