3800 How accurate are Gtech meters?

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

I finally got the thing out to some back roads to play around with it, and was kind of shocked with the results. I've been playing with the engine tune recently and got it running 0 KR with 22 degrees of timing. I knew it was running good, but my meter said I ran a best of 12.85!

I almost crapped my pants.

Has anyone run one at the track and seen how far they're usually off?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Fish@Jan 2 2005, 09:03 PM
Some say maybe a .1 or .2 off. I know trap speed is DEFINATLY off. But if it said 12.8, its possible for a 12 at the strip.
[snapback]66096[/snapback]​
Yeah, my trap speed was 151...That's definately off!

Right after I was stopped at a light and a new Mustang (yes, the new one) was coming up in the other lane. The light turned green and he never fully stopped (probably going about 25) so I punch it to see how I'd do. He got on it and I didn't beat him to the merge, but I was right on his ass. Would've been nice if I didn't get carried away with the wheelspin. Still nice to go from a stop when someone is on a roll and do well.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
from my experience they're not very accurate... i've only played w/the original G-Tech though

Key thing is to be on a level surface , have the weight dialed in right... it's still going to be off though...

I look at the Gtech as a tuning tool... like a Dynometer ... if you can get Gtech to run consistent xx.xx then you change a part and you see a noticable difference... it's 1 step above the SOTP gauge :)

JNGTP94

Regular
Jan 1, 2008
the newer ones are decently accurat the older ones are a quite off. in either case you would need nearly track conditions on the road your testing on in order to be "accurate to track times" SO most say just test ur car a few times stock then after each mod test it on the SAME road and its a good way to measure accomplishments and differences after mods. thats what my friends and i use it for...

-Jason-

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yeah, I basically am using it to see improvements baselined on the meter. Last time I ran the car at the track conditions were really bad...intermittent rain, 30-40 mph headwinds; plus the car was running like crap. I had a small elecrical problem that was aggrivated by moisture and I drove 3-4 hours in the rain to get to the track. At times it would die at idle. Best I could manage with stock timing and shift points was 13.3 that day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info